Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

stainless steel black finish search

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 177
stainless steel black finish search

Looking for a gloss black finish for stainless

Anodize
powder coat
Black chrome ( believe browning does this ) if so i love this
very durable i had it on a shotgun.
Black nickel (cant find anyone who does this.

Wanting a black gloss
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,161
Re: stainless steel black finish search

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrifleisLapua View Post
Looking for a gloss black finish for stainless

Anodize
powder coat
Black chrome ( believe browning does this ) if so i love this
very durable i had it on a shotgun.
Black nickel (cant find anyone who does this.

Wanting a black gloss
Cerakote in Semi-Gloss Black is the way I'd go.

It'll be glossier than the powder coat, and more durable than anything you have on the list if done correctly. It's pretty well impervious to about anything other than being etched with a metal edge or diamonds.

http://www.nwceramiccoatings.com/index.php?m=90

A good freind of mine who builds very high end customs also recommended this to me but I've not personally used it.

http://www.ionbondguncoatings.com/
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 177
Re: stainless steel black finish search

Theres a gunsmith down the road from here who does that coating.
ceramic coating. Dont know if he offers a gloss black. He did do a tac50
Siting on his counter in a greenish color looks pretty good. Get the action done to.
i think he said its 200-300$ . Said its like 50$ cheaper than a blue job but so much better.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 321
Re: stainless steel black finish search

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrifleisLapua View Post
Looking for a gloss black finish for stainless
Salt bath (Isonite QPQ) nitriding (also known as meloniting) is available in a gloss black. Two known good suppliers:

MMI Trutec (Joel Kendrick) - Trutec

H&M Metal Processing - Welcome to H & M Metal Processing

Note that nitriding is NOT intended to be decorative but it is. Many upsides and some downsides, the most significant downsides are it may void your barrel warranty (check your barrel provider) and once done it is not easy to work on (as in its more permanent than you may want. On the upside, increased velocity, better barrel life, less fouling.

Some K&G products are also available "gloss black" and they have neither of the downsides of nitriding - but they are less effective on the upside.

Frankly, this is one of the most contentious subjects that could be brought up. Enjoy the debate.
__________________
ELR Researcher
Life Member NRA and CRPA
www.elr-resources.com
Not a commercial business.
ELR...anything shorter is point blank!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grantsville Utah
Posts: 3,500
Re: stainless steel black finish search

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR Researcher View Post
Salt bath (Isonite QPQ) nitriding (also known as meloniting) is available in a gloss black. Two known good suppliers:

MMI Trutec (Joel Kendrick) - Trutec

H&M Metal Processing - Welcome to H & M Metal Processing

Note that nitriding is NOT intended to be decorative but it is. Many upsides and some downsides, the most significant downsides are it may void your barrel warranty (check your barrel provider) and once done it is not easy to work on (as in its more permanent than you may want. On the upside, increased velocity, better barrel life, less fouling.

Some K&G products are also available "gloss black" and they have neither of the downsides of nitriding - but they are less effective on the upside.

Frankly, this is one of the most contentious subjects that could be brought up. Enjoy the debate.
Just had mine done and it looks great! I went with a satin on the barrel but the brake and action are glossy.....Rich
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 177
Re: stainless steel black finish search

Found what i was looking for.
graphite black cerakote looks good
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 321
Re: stainless steel black finish search

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrifleisLapua View Post
Found what i was looking for.
graphite black cerakote looks good
I'm confused. I thought you wanted "gloss".

Here is the Cerekote link to "graphite black" - Cerakote Coatings: H-146Q Graphite Black

It says the finish is "satin", not gloss. "Our most popular satin black"

And, IMHO, it sure doesn't look "glossy".

Possibly you just changed your mind.

BTW, if you do a search on "graphite black" you will find three (3) products. The specs on the Gen II look the best (to me).

Enjoy!
__________________
ELR Researcher
Life Member NRA and CRPA
www.elr-resources.com
Not a commercial business.
ELR...anything shorter is point blank!

Last edited by ELR Researcher; 07-17-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: stainless steel black finish search
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S O L D - VX-II LEUPOLD 4-12x40mm, AO, FinePlex, Black Matte finish Lefty G-gear Optics For Sale 3 02-25-2012 05:12 PM
Tikka T3 stainless finish? emmagator Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 3 01-06-2011 10:30 PM
remington stainless finish sj-pratt Gunsmithing 1 12-31-2010 04:11 AM
New Savage Edge- Carbon Steel vs Stainless Steel matt_3479 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 0 12-13-2010 09:40 PM
Carbon Steel verses Stainless Steel panhandlepr Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 3 12-30-2006 11:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC