Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sporter barrel vs. Varmint barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sporter barrel vs. Varmint barrel

If carry weight is not an issue, and you might or might not shoot several projectiles in a row....I still say go with the Varmint contour. I like bull barrels...It's just a personal preference. I own 2 sporter taper barreled rifles....1 is the new .338 WinMag, the other is my Browning A-Bolt II 7Mag. Both will be getting rebarreled to Sendero contour barrels sooner or later.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Gold Member

I put a 26.5" sporter barrel on my 243AI and it's not for any type volume shooting. I get what I want for the first couple shot and that's what it was build for.

http://mail.aol.com/37288-111/aol-6/...dMail&partId=4
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Bronze Member

I bought a Savage predator in 243. it shoots great, lighten the accutrigger all way down and with all three bullets I've tested it gets under .5moa. she's a 24 incher and almost a varmint weight, and fluted.

Idahoorion
Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter57 View Post
Thank you, for the replies, gentlemen!

Other than when I'm sighting in the rifle, I have no plans to fire several rounds at one time. 1 or 2 rounds at a groundhog or coyote would be it. While bench shooting to sight in the rifle, I can take my time and allow a sporter barrel to cool, to be certain of it's accuracy.

...or just purchase the varmint barrel and not worry about it. I'll have to check out the predator series of Savage, which would be a "happy medium" barrel.

Bowhunter57
I own the varmint, sportier, and predator rifles. The predator is a good compromise. I have shot it in egg shoot competitions, and found that it holds it's accuracy as well as the varmint weight with repeated firings yet have no problem toting it around the field all day. In my view it's perfectly balanced and provides a more stable platform for the long shots then the lighter sportier weight rifle. The varmint model with the heavy barrel handles like a crowbar.IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Bronze Member

I have a Savage model 12 FVSS with a Stockade Elk Stalker stock and a Leupold 6.5-20 scope on it. It weighs 12 pounds and does get heavy packing around, but man it's shoots.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter57 View Post
I'm considering the purchase of either a 22-250 or a 243, for varmint (groundhogs & coyotes) hunting. I'm after accuracy and speed with 55gr. and up to 85gr. bullets, out to 400 yards.
If your looking to shoot a heavier bullet in a 22-250 you may want to look at Savage Model 12 VLP DBM. It can be bought with a 1-9" barrel instead of the 1-12" that the other models have.