Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Spirit Ridge Rifle Golf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM

spirit ridge

Hey guys. I have been to the spirit ridge course at least 8 times over the last two years. I have read some of the postings for it and have to say that I personally have enjoyed it every time I have gone. I have more fun each time I go and have been able to get several of my family members and friends to go too. One of my friends is from Pocatello, ID and he has come down three times this year alone. I think the combinations of ranges and targets is great. I never really thought I could take long range shots at some of the game I have taken over the years, but now I feel like I can.

If you can make out to their range, you should. You don't always have to go on their tournament days. You can go up with a group of your own and spend most of the day shooting the course. I have taken my brother and his boys up to do this and we had a ball!!!

Happy Shooting,

Travis Forbush
Old 12-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like fun. I just wish it were closer to me.

Mike Alford
Old 12-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Golf is the only sport I hate so I have mixed feelings about it haha. Hell miniature golf pisses me off. I guess if there were guns involved it would be good.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:41 PM

I had a good time.

I attended a tournament at Spirit Ridge this summer. I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt the staff was top notch. They were always helpful, answered all my questions and basically made it enjoyable. I only felt rushed on one hole and that was the 1000 yarder and it was probably because my buddy and myself used all our muligans trying to hit that gong.
It was nice to get out in some varied shooting conditions and practice in a real world environment. I was able to see what rounds worked and refine my drop charts. Could not ask for a better scenario to train in. I plan to schedule a personal (non-tournament) trip wiht some friends as soon as I get a few different loads worked up.
If I had to offer any criticism I would have to say I did have a little trouble locating some of the targets and noting the range. I think it may be a good idea to post a large live camera shot of the range from a shooting position that encompasse all the targets at that stop. Then overlay that live shot with oversized highlighted (like in neon colors) postions of the targets with the range listed to the side. Laminate it so it's weatherproof and post it on the back of the awning. That way people can familiarize themselves with the positions and ranges of the targets before they get into shooting position.
Overall, it was a good time and I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback, it's all good info for me to have good or bad. Thats how we make adjustments for a more enjoyable time.
"bigcat", I'm not a golf fan myself, but where else can you go and have 6 miles round trip on your atv, in the mountains, and have 9 holes of Teeing off with a bang? Good times! Hey, got a question for anyone with an opinion, On our tournaments we have no stipulations on what caliber rifle you shoot, I just wonder if the guys that like to shoot the 223, or 22-250 ect. like to shoot against the guys with the big mags. Don't get me wrong, I have seen these smaller calibers hold their own, but they are at a disadvantage with the wind and such. Would I get a better turnoutif we had different tournament for different calibers in there own brackets? Also, how important is the life like sillohette targets vs. just having a swinging gong target? Let me know what you think.

stu
Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

I think it's an excellent idea and would certainly like to go there at least once.

I was a bit perplexed at the fact that both the hunters and the targets wear blaze orange.

Seems a bit dangerous eh?

$bob$
Old 12-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Hey guys,

I am pretty sure that the targets at Spirit Ridge are black silhoette's of various game you would see in the field. In order for your shot to count you have to hit a 1 foot by 2 foot metal gong which is placed precisley over the vital's of the animal. Any other direct hit to the silhoette does not count. I believe from what I can remember the gong is painted white for contrast against the black silhoette.

I think the suggestion was made that at the shooting station it would be a good idea to have a poster size picture of the hill side with the targets identified and highlighted on the poster...(maybe in orange). The poster could include; station elevation, target range and overall terrain obstacles to consider such as mulitpe cross canyon's, deep gorge, etc.

I think this is a great idea and would probably help speed the game along and alleviate the rushed feeling. Half of my anxiety on tournament day came from not being able to find the target. The visual poster at that shooting station would be sweet!

All the shooters are required to stay on the main trail and are required to wear orange. I think the guides do a great job at enforcing this policy, it is a pretty safe environment.

Jpetey23