Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Spiral fluting is NOT allowed by barrel manufacturers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: Spiral fluting is NOT allowed by barrel manufacturers

I would never get spiral fluting! I might consider some external, rotary cut, mirror pattern rifling stress relief grooves.

This sounds like a little like the WSM bla bla bla that happened a while ago........
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 AM

You can get a Hart barrel with spiral fluting.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from Shaw on a Ruger action, with helical fluting. It shoots half minute if I do my part. As to cooling faster, I don't know. All that matters is that my wife says it looks cool, cause we all know if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...
Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Bronze Member

Clay Spencer (a very well known benchrest gunsmith with 88 world records with his guns and makes barrels and his own bullets) says that spiral fluting is a load of B.S. he says the barrels heat up and do all sorts of weird things. He says they may look cool and shoot fine when kept cool but they go crazy when warmed up. It may work on a hunting rifle but I will stick to straight flutes. He is opinionated but is right 99.9% of the time.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

Just a poor old carpenter from Boise ID here but I have a question for the engineers out there, especially anyone with a background the thermodynamics of steel:

Since the flutes are in a radial pattern around the barrel and that pattern is spiraled around the length of the barrel, when the steel expands from the heat of shooting would not the spiral flutes induce a twist to the barrel winding it up as it were? Since the steel in the flutes are homogeneous to the barrel only on one surface the flutes would be acting as rods wrapped around the barrel, yes?

A barrel that twists as it heats up sounds like bad ju ju....

KB