Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Spiral fluting is NOT allowed by barrel manufacturers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

Spiral fluting is NOT allowed by barrel manufacturers

because another barrel manufacturer has a trademark on it, WTF. How can someone/company put a patent/trademark on fluting a barrel to a customers wants? I just ordered my Mcgowen in 300 win mag and asked about spiral fluting. Jon told me that they and other barrel making companies are NOT allowed to spiral flute barrels unless they pay a royalty because ER Shaw holds a trademark/patent on it. That is BEEEEEYOND ubsurd. Any opinions or comments on this BS

Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Spiral fluting is NOT allowed by barrel manufacturers

That does sound silly. I would think you could patent a process but not a decorative design.

I would tell you to just have the spirals run in the opposite direction to get around this, but running counter to the rifling would just unwind your barrel the first time you shot it.

Had to throw that in. That does sound odd though.

Best,

Dee

www.sevenoakshunting.net

Last edited by Seven Oaks; 05-29-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Silver Member

I know what you mean. i wanted spiral flutes also but found out that E.R. Shaw thinks they are original. Some smiths will do it for you. Ask around. If anyone asks, tell em its a shaw barrel. Good thing Shaw didnt patten sprial flutes on bolts they would have made alot more money.

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

It looks like those guys do have a patent (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6324780.html).

What this means is that no other manufacturer can utilize this same, or substantially similar technique, to spiral flute a barrel, and MAKE MONEY from the service. Thus, you could spiral flute your own barrel, you just couldn't offer the service to anyone else, since that would violate the patent that Shaw holds.

You could do the following: In their patent, they claim "For example, if the gun barrel 10 has spiral flutes that are twenty percent longer than straight flutes for the same length of a gun barrel then it is believed that the spiral fluted gun barrel will cool twenty percent faster than the straight fluted gun barrel. Further, it is believed that the stiffness characteristics will improve with the spiral fluted gun barrel over a straight fluted gun barrel."

The supreme court recently held that you could "try out" patent to see if their claims are valid. So you could get someone to spiral flute a barrel for the purposes of seeing if this method allows the barrel to cool faster, or is actually stiffer. If it turns out that spiral fluting is merely cosmetic, and offers no real advantages over existing prior art, you could then challenge the patent.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Sponsor

I don't believe sprial fluting will do all of the things it claims especially make it stiffer. However if someone developes or invents something and goes through the money and trouble to patent it then they should make the royalties from it. Have you thought about calling Shaw to see how much this royalty might be. It could be affordable, I would not however get one of their barrels.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 05-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Makes perfect sense to me. Fluting is like chrome hubcaps...really dont do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post
because another barrel manufacturer has a trademark on it, WTF. How can someone/company put a patent/trademark on fluting a barrel to a customers wants? I just ordered my Mcgowen in 300 win mag and asked about spiral fluting. Jon told me that they and other barrel making companies are NOT allowed to spiral flute barrels unless they pay a royalty because ER Shaw holds a trademark/patent on it. That is BEEEEEYOND ubsurd. Any opinions or comments on this BS

NRA Life Member
Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Here's another way around the patent. According to the patent definitions:

7. A gun barrel, comprising: an open-ended hollow body having a first end, a second end, an inner surface and an outer surface, said inner surface defining a gun barrel bore and a number of internal spiral grooves and said outer surface defining a number of external spiral grooves, wherein the number of the internal spiral grooves equals the number of the external spiral grooves.

It would be easy to make sure that the number of flutes was different than the number of rifling grooves.