Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

speedlock firing pin assembly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Bronze Member

speedlock firing pin assembly

Anyone on here ever try a speedlock firing pin assembly, is it just a gymic or does it really improve your accuracy? Just seems like a fairly cheap and easy thing to do and was thinking about doing it and wondering if anyone had any experience with them, Thanks Jake
Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

Re: speedlock firing pin assembly

I just installed one in my 223AI last night. Basically was wanting to get rid of tha nasty J-Lock on my Rem 700 bolt.
In theory it should help with a quicker lock time, which should help accuracy...but we'll see.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Be careful that you check the speed lock firing pin protrusion from the front of the bolt face.

I installed one a few weeks prior to an elk hunting trip in 2006.

Had 3 misfires when I was shooting at my first elk in Co.

Click, chamber new shell, bang, click, chamber new shell, click chamber new shell, bang, dead elk. Elk ran about 50 yds. (I am sure first shot would have done it but the elk just stood there. 7mm 160 Accubond at about 75 yds out of a RUM into the vitals)

Didn't figure out the speedlock wasn't hitting the primer hard enough until under fire in the mountains.

Put the factory firing pin assembly back in and haven't had a misfire since.

(I may even have a REM700 LA speedlock for sale ...)
Old 09-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHansen View Post
Anyone on here ever try a speedlock firing pin assembly, is it just a gymic or does it really improve your accuracy? Just seems like a fairly cheap and easy thing to do and was thinking about doing it and wondering if anyone had any experience with them, Thanks Jake
I have used and like them .

The way they improve accuracy is by decreasing lock time minimizing the movement of the
rifle after trigger sear releases the firing pin,(Less movement,better accuracy.).

If you are well trained and have good shooting skills they may not help that much.

But as DWN said make sure that it is installed correctly and that the protrusion is at least
.050 or more.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

One more thing, I have one on another 7RUM. This one is somewhat smaller in diameter than the factory unit. It leaves a dimple on the primer. Smith says he could fix it by putting a bushing in the bolt.

The dimple is not really a problem, but that is one more thing to consider if you get one.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

I just recently bought one of these for my rem 700 and i had the same problem as dwm just not as common. I shot a match today and probably had ten misfires. A friend suggested i put the factory pin back in. I checked protrusion ( about .062 ) and put factory pin back in and it ignited every round that failed to fire.

Is there a way i could make the lighter pin work or should i just forget it?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

I put one in my 5r 308... The old Remington 788 used to have the fastest lock time of production guns. They were a cheap gun that really shot great. I shake some from nerve problems. Anything that helps get the bullet down and out of the barrel faster is a good thing for me. I figured for such a cheap price it might help. I have never had a misfire with it.. Does it help???? I can't say for sure....dgarrett