Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

speed guess

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: speed guess

Every gun will be different though. What one gun can handle as safe pressure another one will be well under that load. I met a guy once that used 96gr of r-25 and a 180gr scirocco at 3400fps. I would think if your at 81557 psi you should be seeing deffinately signs of pressure. Another member on here states that your velocity will tell you where your pressure is, under a chrono. Can't really say, just play it safe and be cautious.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 PM

My Christensen Arms .300 RUM with 180 gr scirrocco with 95.5 gr RE25 comes in at 2975 fps. 26" barrel
Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatyrem View Post
Every gun will be different though. What one gun can handle as safe pressure another one will be well under that load. I met a guy once that used 96gr of r-25 and a 180gr scirocco at 3400fps. I would think if your at 81557 psi you should be seeing deffinately signs of pressure. Another member on here states that your velocity will tell you where your pressure is, under a chrono. Can't really say, just play it safe and be cautious.
Please do not misunderstand my post to think that the velocity will determine pressure! That is NOT the case.

What I meant to convey is that each gun performs differently with a number of powder, brass, bullet, and primer combinations. A load that is not over pressure in one gun may be VERY over pressure in another simply because of the way the chamber was cut.

Alliant shows 180 grain bullet with RL 25 in a 300 RUM to perform at 3146 with the max load (94 grains) for THEIR test gun.

This was approved by their attorneys.

Remember that we are dealing with extremely deadly, controlled explosions right next to our heads.

Be very cautious when exceeding published load data.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I should have added that Alliant's test gun was a 24" barrel as well.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-man View Post
Please do not misunderstand my post to think that the velocity will determine pressure! That is NOT the case.

What I meant to convey is that each gun performs differently with a number of powder, brass, bullet, and primer combinations. A load that is not over pressure in one gun may be VERY over pressure in another simply because of the way the chamber was cut.

Alliant shows 180 grain bullet with RL 25 in a 300 RUM to perform at 3146 with the max load (94 grains) for THEIR test gun.

Remember that we are dealing with extremely deadly, controlled explosions right next to our heads.

Looking at the loads some people are posting flat scares the hell out of me.

Maximum velocity rarely produces ideal accuracy and it's just not worth the chances of damaging or worse blowing up your gun to push it a little harder.

I would definitely not want to be behind the weapon for some of these loads.

Exceeding max pressure by 20-30% is simply not responsible and sooner or later is going to have a really ugly result.

Let me echo what has been said.... . BE VERY CAREFUL GUYS!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-man View Post

J-man,
I didn't want you to think I was refering to you on that post, it was from a while ago. About another member. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't meaning to just disregard all other pressure indicators.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatyrem View Post
J-man,
I didn't want you to think I was refering to you on that post, it was from a while ago. About another member. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't meaning to just disregard all other pressure indicators.
No worries. I didn't want anyone to misunderstand my post and I realized that it could have been interpreted incorrectly which was the last thing anyone working with these pressures needs.

No hard feelings and a true appreciation for making me think about what I said more clearly.