Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is something wrong with my rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Is something wrong with my rifle?

But I will be getting a torque wrench.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Not saying you mounted it wrong. I'm thinking that the scope has internal issues. I can't imagin a factory rem shooting worse than say 1 1/2 MOA with factory fodder.

Try mounting a different scope of known quality and shoot a few groups with a known load. it doesn't matter if that was the load the shot best or worse. Do a comparo.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Ycreek, did you use Locktite on the scope mounts and the action screws? When you get the torque wrench (in inch pounds) torque all screws and record the amount you used. If you try another scope use the same recorded settings on it also. Torque settings can be found on this site or just Google them. Then try minute of elk's #5 thru #9. I personally am not a fan of the plastic stocks and suggest trying a laminated or composite stock bedded if your new rifle still does not perform. Bedding epoxy will not stick to the plastic stocks. My son's 700 in 7mm shot nearly 4" groups with the plastic stock. He ordered a Boyd's laminated stock $114 delivered, 9 bucks worth of Marine-Tex and with some hand loads shoots sub-MOA. Good luck
Old 09-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycreek View Post
But I will be getting a torque wrench.
I recommend the Wheeler FAT wrench. One of the best investments I've made so far. I wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

I'm definitely going to switch the scopes and give it a go. A new stock is also in my future. Oh. I used locktite. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement. I'll take all I can get.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

My suggestions are

1) check the end of the forearm for contact with the barrel. Contact here can cause huge erratic issues. I just worked on a gun for my dad that was bound at the forearm tip. Shot about a 14" group at 100 yards. I free floated it and with the same ammo shoots 2" groups.

2) over tightening the ring screws on vortex scopes binds the internals. Vortexes have slightly lighter tubes than the more expensive scopes and need to be torqued properly on the rings. Not just cranked down by hand. They are quality scopes though.

3) I have yet to have that Hornaday superformace shoot well in any gun I've tried it in. Try some federal ammo. Seems to do a little better for consistency in my experience.

Checking these in this order I believe will help you
Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
My suggestions are

1) check the end of the forearm for contact with the barrel. Contact here can cause huge erratic issues. I just worked on a gun for my dad that was bound at the forearm tip. Shot about a 14" group at 100 yards. I free floated it and with the same ammo shoots 2" groups.

2) over tightening the ring screws on vortex scopes binds the internals. Vortexes have slightly lighter tubes than the more expensive scopes and need to be torqued properly on the rings. Not just cranked down by hand. They are quality scopes though.

3) I have yet to have that Hornaday superformace shoot well in any gun I've tried it in. Try some federal ammo. Seems to do a little better for consistency in my experience.

Checking these in this order I believe will help you
Perfect. Great advice. I talked to the guy at Vortex this morning and he told me the exact same thing although I'll tell ya, after review, my ring screws were not overly tight. It HAS to be the stock. I'm not good enough to justify a $500.00 stock but a new stock nevertheless, is in my future. Oh! Torque wrench is on the way. Thanks a lot for your input.