Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Some Scottish Pics...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Gold Member

Some Scottish Pics...

I literally just got back from Scotland this morning; kit unpacked and in the wash, rifle thoroughly cleaned and –now- photos downloaded to the computer! I hope that these few pics may be of interest to some of you...

Hunted Mon-Thu getting a red stag on each of the 1st three days and a young spiker sika stag yesterday morning…..an excellent trip!!

I’ve attached a few photos……apologies - my face is obscured due to my ‘internet-shyness’; but I’ve let the cheesy grins show!:

Mon…..182m/ 200yds ….relatively easy stalk / crawl through bracken. Shot taken from top right of photo across the shallow valley. Bipod resting on rucksack in order to get high enough for a shot from the bracken.

Tue….best stalk / shot of the trip…..stag roaring on the ridge edge surrounded by his hinds….you can see how wet I am from crawling!

244m / 267yds wind full value 20-30mph channeling from right down the intervening gully…..very demanding and satisfying fieldcraft/stalk and shot!

Wed….200m / 219yds …the best head I was able to take.. …required a long crawl in full view of the beasts with only one foot high heather for cover…!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:21 AM

Re: Some Scottish Pics...

good pics -they sorta look like mule deer w/ small elk antlers. What's that camo tube on your rifle barrel? The pic w/ the arrow showing where he was looks a lot furthre than 200 yards!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Gold Member

carverelli,
Yes, I agree the marker looks much further than 267yds ...I've always found range very difficult to judge in the Highlands ...not sure why; but things always seem -to me- to look further away than they are ...I think it's a combination of certain light conditions coupled with a lot of Scottish terrain looking like bigger terrain types/ features in other countries -and this fools your brain into thinking that it's further away ...the upside is that I always seem to get to where I'm walking faster than I expect! ....needless to say I have had a Leica LRF for a long time!

...the camo tube is a cover I made for my suppressor.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Very nice pics, looks like you had a lot of fun.

David.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:12 PM

Nice pics! what rifle is that you are using? it looks rather heavy to be hauling up scottish hills! I must admit though i prefer my rifles on the heavy side but after seeing some of the hills the highlands has to offer i dont think i could drag myself up nevermind with a heavyweight rifle!Where exactly were you in the highlands?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
what rifle is that you are using?

[/ QUOTE ]

AI.

Brown Dog,

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What load were you using?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Brown Dog, nice story and excellent photographs. Is it an AE or AW and in what calibre.

It looks just the ticket for that kind of work, envious as hell, not shot a thing in months!!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]