Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

some pics from my south africa hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 10:01 AM

Re: some pics from my south africa hunt

Sharpsman

I missed this stupid, rascist comment earlier. Deleted by Len Backus
Old 12-27-2004, 05:18 PM

Deleted by Len Backus

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure im understanding your ?
Old 01-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Watts is a black area of South Los Angeles.

You did real well. That Springbok is better than mine. I didn't even get a shot at a baboon, saw some, never were able to catch up with them. They are, without a doubt, one of the most difficult animals to hunt, so I'm told?

Another animal I hunted, and didn't get was the mountain reedbuck. You have a nice one, there. My next trip, I want an Oryx, yours looks like it might be a female?

I'd say you got a real good deal on the price.....and you sure hit the nail on the head about the plane ride; 27 hours of total misery. LB

edit: PS, my wife said the same thing!
Old 01-01-2005, 05:39 AM
Silver Member

I love the baboon pic [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!! It would make a great caption contest.

Looks like you had a good hunt.

Jim
Old 01-01-2005, 01:36 PM

OK under stand now lol

Yes i got lucky on the Baboon we top over this hill and boom there they were. but did get sight of us right away and were on the move in a hurry.

My mountian reed buck that is another one that is hard to get we started hunten for the reed buck the first day and ended up getten him the last day we were just sitten and watchen the ridge caps and him and a female poped over the top oh a cap. we started to make our way to them got about 250 yds from him. I shot and thought i missed he showed no reaction as to been hit. So after climbing the rest of the way up there he was layen there. Then on the way out with the reed buck we ran in to the Steenbuck and the PH got very excited kept telling me to shot. when we walked up to him the PH kept saying HOLE SHEET he is big had him measured Taxi said he should make top 5 in book.

No my Gems is a male but very big. Thats what we thought to when we walked up that i shot the wrong one PH said i think you shot a female I kept telling him i shot the one you told me to got up to him and he was the one i was suppose to shoot. But i know what you mean normally the males only get about 35 inch and are big bases and females are long with little bases. but if you look at the pic he has some big mass on the bases.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

BGH - Ok man, have you ever done it to me. You've pushed me over the edge. I've been thinking about going to Africa for a couple of years now, and your pictures have just done it to me. They are so awesome!! I've got the fever now! I'm on a mission. I'd like to really thank you for posting these pictures; it gave me the kick in the butt that I needed. Couple of questions:

First I've heard that South Africa is quite dangerous (in the populated areas). Rape and robbery are rampant. I presume you flew into Johannesburg (sp?). How did you ensure your personal safety?

Second, did your 30-06 cover every type of game animal that you hunted or did you use other calibers?

Thirdly, how long did you set aside for the whole trip from start to finish. If you had to do it differently how much time would you allow for it?

Thanks again for the truly spectacular pictures!!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:57 PM

RoadRunner,
Im glad the pics kicked you in to going I had a blast and i know you will too. As far as typing everything it would be better if i talked to you on the phone if you would like to call me or me call you no diff. just saying it would be easier that way you can e-mail me at wb26686@usol.com and we can start there and hopefully get ya everything ya need if you dont want to do it that way just let me know and we can e-mail back and forth [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

as far as the easy ?s yes i used the 30.06 for everything i shot