Some magnum .338 questions?
I have long pondered buildinga a .338 Magnum (lapua or Edge) and just had nobody to ask some question's too that owned or shot one. Well I see alot of people using them on this site so I will ask my questions.
1) With a good break and recoil pad what is the expected recoil. ( I shoot a .300 Win Mag sendero un breaked currently and have no problems with recoil) Will it be quite a bit more than that?
2) What is the expected barrel life with proper cleaning and without over heating the barrel?
3) What is a good stock desighn to shoot prone and off hand aswell as handle the recoil? I was thinking of a McMillan A1-3 with heavy fill and 1" sims recoil pad.
4) Barrel length, I know with the Lapua I have read never less than 27" I was thinking of 28" plus the break is this an ok length or should I go 30"?
5) What action to use I would like to keep it around 1000.00 for the action I was thinking Stiller Tac .338? What are my options?
6) Lapua or Edge?
7) Which style of muzzle break best reduces recoil? I see alot of the gill type, some with the individual holes drilled, And then theres some wild desighns like the jp break that looks like the end of a tank as well as others. Which seems to work the best? Pic of the desighn would be great if you have one.
Thanks in advance to any who answer I did some searching on the site but figured there might be some new answers or people that didn't answer the other threads.
Last edited by jayph; 11-07-2008 at 12:28 PM.