Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

some help selecting ballistic a program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 02:38 AM

some help selecting ballistic a program

Guys , I was wondering if any of you could lend a hand on this , I wanted to get a ballistic program that can be installed on a PDA and taken to the range or out in the field , what are my choices , do you guys use one in particular ? any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: some help selecting ballistic a program

Get the Exball and don't look back.......
Old 05-28-2007, 08:17 AM

Thanks John

Sounds like you like this one Hu ! Im way down under here in Australia and dont get a lot of exposure to this stuff apart from the great information on this site , could you help me out a little on some details or where to look to get that program , Good on you mate , thanks for the reply
Old 05-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

I am familar and use the Nightforce version check it out here,

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/?catid=3...976edb6b1fd0a54
Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

I have the Nighforce on my smartphone. It works great. It has a list of bullets by manufacturer with their corresponding BC and also a list of factory ammunition by manufacturer. You can input field conditions at the place where you sighted the gun in and you can later input field conditions for where you are going to take the shot and it compensates for it. It will also tell you the elevation and windage in MOA or MIL.

Another cool feature that I like is that you have a BC validation feature. What it does is that when you are out shooting your rifle to confirm dope, you can enter the elevation that you entered for let's say 500 yards, and if the shot was 4 inches low, it will compensate for that and make the correct adjusments so that it will now match your ballistic table and give you the correct dope from there on!

I use mine on a AT&T tilt phone with toch screen and windows 6.0 mobile

-X3M
Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MHunter View Post

Another cool feature that I like is that you have a BC validation feature. What it does is that when you are out shooting your rifle to confirm dope, you can enter the elevation that you entered for let's say 500 yards, and if the shot was 4 inches low, it will compensate for that and make the correct adjusments so that it will now match your ballistic table and give you the correct dope from there on!

-X3M
All the trajectory validation function does is change your muzzle velocity in the "save sight in conditions". It does not correct the BC. It matches the velocity to be correct at the distances you used to validate it. It also doesn't correct (or determine)your drag coefficient so your drop chart can never be 100%.

I just gave away my copy of Exbal. I've used Field firing solutions and currently am using LoadBase 3.0. I'm familiar with all 3. Two of them are "good enough" , LB 3.0 is a bit more exacting but you need to be willing to collect accurate data to get it to work correctly.

Last edited by jmason; 07-28-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

I have the nightforce on my pocket pc and it works great and is user friendly, I don't own the load base 3.0 but i've seen it posted on this site and In my opinion it would be a pain to use in the field just my .02