Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Some entertaining testing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Some entertaining testing

I had several firearms to test fire this morning. Among the bunch was an unbraked, 7.5lb, 300 RUM I needed to function test the extractor on. I didn't have a scope on the RUM.

When it came time to fire the RUM I looked around for something to point at. There was a white rock on a nearby hillside, size of a stop sign, previously ranged at 320.

I shouldered the rifle like a shotgun, letting my brain and finger work without instruction. The hard smack of the RUM hitting rock rang down the canyon as a cloud of white dust exploded off the surface. Grinning, I repeated the operation several times.

I was tickled to hit the rock about 7 out of ten times. Who needs a scope?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Some entertaining testing

Hows the recoil from that thing. my dads unbraked 300 Rum weighs in at about the same weight scoped and shooting 180 bullets ain't fun. I've tried it.

That's some sweet shooting BTW.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Hows the recoil from that thing. my dads unbraked 300 Rum weighs in at about the same weight scoped and shooting 180 bullets ain't fun. I've tried it.

That's some sweet shooting BTW.
Personally, I brake my pellet guns. I'd like to suppress them.

For a few offhand rounds, it was fine. If the customer wanted me to do load work, I would refer him to somebody else.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

It's got the triangular barrel that melts after 2 shots so I think finding a brake that will fit it won't be easy. We are actually going to shoot it tonight.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Ok Smarty Pants, I'll carry the rifle. You shoot it. We'll both pack out the meat.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
I had several firearms to test fire this morning. Among the bunch was an unbraked, 7.5lb, 300 RUM I needed to function test the extractor on. I didn't have a scope on the RUM.

When it came time to fire the RUM I looked around for something to point at. There was a white rock on a nearby hillside, size of a stop sign, previously ranged at 320.

I shouldered the rifle like a shotgun, letting my brain and finger work without instruction. The hard smack of the RUM hitting rock rang down the canyon as a cloud of white dust exploded off the surface. Grinning, I repeated the operation several times.

I was tickled to hit the rock about 7 out of ten times. Who needs a scope?
That reminds me of all the scoffing I've taken over the years when people say they want to stick to scopes that go down to at least 2.5x just in case they have to shoot at under fifty yards.

In such cases I tell folks it makes no never mind just sight along the edge of the barrel and pull the trigger. Most just scoff at the suggestion.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Ok Smarty Pants, I'll carry the rifle. You shoot it. We'll both pack out the meat.
???? Im a little slow at these big boy jokes.

I'm 16
~George Washington

~ JE Custom