Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Some 7mm rem mag advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Re: Some 7mm rem mag advice

Thanks for the welcome guys and the advice

I got onto the Bergers after watching John Porter and John Burns from the best of the west drop everything like a stone with them I mapped them against the SMK with the same starting velocity in the Night force software and the berger turns up over 200fps faster at 800 so the slippery BC of the berger VLD and its game expansion make it look like a good choice.

It sounds like the accubond has a great following as well for LR hunting , the largest animal I will be poking holes in will be our Red stags (a slightly smaller version of your elk but similar model) and our big thick set Javan Rusa deer they both provide plenty of expantion area and are heavily muscled animals.

When John porter comes back from his Griz trip in Alaska (lucky bugger) I am going to organise my 2011 late season elk trip with him at Morning Creek , its a long way from OZ but its on the bucket list and Im ticking them off one shot at a time.

It sounds like you all have a couple of sweet loads with more than one bullet if I am reading things right it looks like the SMK , AMAX and Accubonds get the tick for good hunting bullets.

To just focus on the "In animal performance" for a moment could you give me an idea of your personal experience in the taking of game with traditional shoulder shots ? have you got more "in /outs" than retained in animal performance with one or the other.

I know its the Grail and there will be lots of angles to view it but if I can I would like to settle on one bullet and load then lock it up and spend my time becoming a better marksman with a rifle that I hope to wander the world with.

Thanks you guys are great.

Unread 05-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Make the rifle yours, custom tailor it to what you LOVE, so that you have 100000% complete confidence in your firearm and you and your rifle are in perfect sync. Learn your trigger, learn to listen for the slightest most minute little clicks of the trigger, the smallest drop of resistance of the trigger before the rifle fires and you WILL learn how to apply JUUUST enough pressure to the trigger before the rifle fires in that you can place the crosshairs EXACTLY where you want perfectly and your next thought alone of firing the weapon will be what sends the bullet down to what you are aiming at. I hope that made sense. I shoot a 7mag and I love it. Practice dry firing it (some people dry fire and some dont, I do) and do everything I mentioned above and when you stop jumping at the sound of the click you will be 1/4 of the way there

Unread 05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

If you are only going to go with one bullet I would try the 160 accubond, it has a reasonable BC and excellent performance at all ranges. They do need about 1800 fps to open reliably so use a ballistic program to see what range you retain this velocity out to, it will probably be about 800 yds if you MV is about 3000 fps.

I personally use the 160 accubond inside 350 yds and the 162 a-max past 350 yds. I am lucky enough they shoot to the same point of impact.

Unread 05-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

What bipod set are you using?
Unread 05-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

All my shots with the 7mm have been boiler room shots with the 160 Partiton. If and when I start loading for the 7 again I will try 150 E-Tips and 160 AB's and pick the best shooter.
Unread 05-27-2009, 06:03 PM

BH hunter , mate its an Optima , from hunters choice I picked it up in New Zealand I really liked the on off ease of it , have a prone and a sit behind length. But what I liked the most about these is the front to back side to side flexibility and movement they give , it puts no stock torque at all in any shot as you square up on uneven ground , I rate them and like mine very much.