Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Solution for elk hunting delema - 338 Lapua?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Solution for elk hunting delema - 338 Lapua?

I have a friend that has killed alot of Elk and Moose with his .308 Win and 180gr accubonds. He shoots them in the neck and they drop instantly. Caliber isnt as important as accuracy and shot placement.

Wade
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM

Location: Houston TX but come from Colorado where I like to hunt
Re: Solution for elk hunting delema - 338 Lapua?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadedc View Post
I have a friend that has killed alot of Elk and Moose with his .308 Win and 180gr accubonds. He shoots them in the neck and they drop instantly. Caliber isnt as important as accuracy and shot placement.
Wade
Has your friend mentioned at what distances he has shot them in the neck from - I like hunting and cheerish the moments of stalking and getting up close but I plan on taking my wife so it will help for us to be able to shoot longer distances - good ideas and options out there - I plan on using the TBAC suppressor because one suppressor can be screwed onto various TBAC breaks which are less than $200 - thanks for all the ideas and words of wisdom! Its all good - it really pays to prepare but nothing takes the place of just going out there and connecting with nature - it funny but I have this sensation of when deer are going to show even before I have seen anything that suggest they will be spotted but not elk! Has anyone one else ever felt a sensation that alerts them that one is about to come accross game? Angles - ? I wonder what it could be - I am very appreciated of God's help and thank God every time I feild dress - I always eat what I shoot and would like a nice rack to bring home some day but nothing compares to a home cooked meal with game meat!