Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Solution for elk hunting delema - 338 Lapua?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Solution for elk hunting delema - 338 Lapua?

42 elk in my book and most were killed with a 338/378 wby. Mag ..
The last few with one of my 338 lapua,s....they are the best elk
medicine ever made .even poor shots ,,which we all get usually because of improper wind holds ,,,work wonders.
This is years of experience from me ,,so i am sure one of them will work for you. They really shine out past 600/800 yards.
To each there own as you ,,should have already noticed on this
this site. Great bunch of guys with a wealth of knowledge
you can find nowwhere else.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

It's all good, I just wanted to avoid confusion of someone else asking what a 7mm Win Mag was. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Location: Houston TX but come from Colorado where I like to hunt

7mm Rem Mag - ok thanks and I will check into that western round - I was thinking it might be overkill - is it a pretty efficient round? I will check the reloading manuals - and since I plan on hunting antelope also I think the 7mm calibers are maybe more suted for smaller game than say a 338 Lapua but maybe not necessarily - I am trying to look at everything -
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHeer View Post
7mm Rem Mag - ok thanks and I will check into that western round - I was thinking it might be overkill - is it a pretty efficient round? I will check the reloading manuals - and since I plan on hunting antelope also I think the 7mm calibers are maybe more suted for smaller game than say a 338 Lapua but maybe not necessarily - I am trying to look at everything -
Yes, 7mmSTW is a very efficient round. I reload for mine these days, and shoot 1 ragged hole groups at the range out of my factory barreled Remington Sendero SF. I shot a whitetail with it about 10 years ago within 100 yards using some Fedral Premium ammo factory loaded with 160gr Sierra GameKings, and it was ruthless on damage. Never took it deer hunting again b/c of how much meat it ruined. Did more research on the caliber later on down the road Federal started loading the 160gr Nosler Accubonds in a factory load. Shot those, and never looked back. Accubonds are the best hunting bullets I've ever found. I shoot Accubonds in everything I hunt with.

I know plenty of people who use that caliber to hunt in Africa, Canada, Alaska, Midwest, Texas, etc... It'll take anything on the continent.

Recoil is surprisingly not bad for how large of a caliber it is.

If you plan on hunting Elk or smaller game at greater than 300 yards, and don't want to ruin much meat.....7mmSTW with some 160gr Accubonds will be your meal ticket, IMO.

Alot of folks dismiss the cartridge, Alot don't even know what it is or never heard of it. Some prefer huge recoil and lots of noise from the RUM's. But IMO it is one of hte best (and most often overlooked) long-range medium to large game calibers there is.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Alot of folks dismiss the cartridge, Alot don't even know what it is or never heard of it. Some prefer huge recoil and lots of noise from the RUM's. But IMO it is one of hte best (and most often overlooked) long-range medium to large game calibers there is.

There is not a lot of difference in the recoil of a 7mm RUM and a 7STW but there is in velocity.

At 300 yards the 7mm RUM delivers 24% more energy than the 7 rem mag and 12% more than the 7stw.

With 140gr bullets the STW is very flat but the RUM can handle the bigger bullets (160-180) at higher velocities because of case capacity.

Probably not a lot of help but that's the difference.

The barrel life is going to be crap from either of them.. but if you are just using it for the hunting season then I dont see how you will shoot over 800-1000rds (in a short time period anyway).

If we keep in mind that you want a suppressor on it... I dont think recoil will be a factor to keep in mind anymore. I still vote for one of the .30 cals. Great heavier bullets to throw into elk at extended ranges. With all of the great scopes today, flat shooting cartridges arent as appealing because we can easily DOPE our scopes and make a clean shot without worrying about bullet drop/hold over.

For me the bottom line is.... When recoil isnt a factor (suppressor!), and a LARGE animal is going to be taken, and you dont have $1.50 to spend on every reloaded round (for a .338lm), then a .30 cal is the way to go. Leaves a bigger hole on game than the 7mm, and a smaller hole on your wallet (than the .338).
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
There is not a lot of difference in the recoil of a 7mm RUM and a 7STW but there is in velocity.

At 300 yards the 7mm RUM delivers 24% more energy than the 7 rem mag and 12% more than the 7stw.

With 140gr bullets the STW is very flat but the RUM can handle the bigger bullets (160-180) at higher velocities because of case capacity.

Probably not a lot of help but that's the difference.

The barrel life is going to be crap from either of them.. but if you are just using it for the hunting season then I dont see how you will shoot over 800-1000rds (in a short time period anyway).

If we keep in mind that you want a suppressor on it... I dont think recoil will be a factor to keep in mind anymore. I still vote for one of the .30 cals. Great heavier bullets to throw into elk at extended ranges. With all of the great scopes today, flat shooting cartridges arent as appealing because we can easily DOPE our scopes and make a clean shot without worrying about bullet drop/hold over.

For me the bottom line is.... When recoil isnt a factor (suppressor!), and a LARGE animal is going to be taken, and you dont have $1.50 to spend on every reloaded round (for a .338lm), then a .30 cal is the way to go. Leaves a bigger hole on game than the 7mm, and a smaller hole on your wallet (than the .338).
I have been shooting 160gr bullets out of my 7mmSTW for 10-11 years now (since I bought the gun new). It handles them VERY well. It actually prefers the 160's. The case capacity is not THAT much different in the STW and RUM.

If you think a $1.50 a round is bad, then you don't ever need to get into big-bores or .338's, .408's, .416, or .50BMG...

My factory loaded 7mmSTW rounds are $70-80 a box....That's $4.00 each. My reloads cost me about $0.89 each, even using high-quality powder and Nosler Accubonds. Granted, I've been saving up brass for 10-11 years, so I have about a lifetime's supply of it laying around, so that cost can be removed from my list, b/c it all came from factory loaded ammo I bought years ago.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

If you think a $1.50 a round is bad, then you don't ever need to get into big-bores or .338's, .408's, .416, or .50BMG...
Thank you. That is the point I am trying to make. If I had to come down to 2 calibers tho..it would be the 7 and the 30. And as far as 7mm vs. .300's, if they cost the same to reload...why not leave a bigger hole with more energy? More barrel life will come from the .30's.. and the rifle will be lighter (bigger bore, less metal in the barrel! Ha.. im just splitting hairs now!)

Good luck with ya choice!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen