Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Solution for elk hunting delema - 338 Lapua?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Re: Solution for elk hunting delema - 338 Lapua?

Having been in on killing over 75 elk, with rifle, pistol, ML and bow, either pulling the trigger or right beside whoever pulled it ,I feel i can speak with some authority.

First lets get something straight here. I went back and re-read you post and what you are asking here has nothing to do with caliber choice, it has to do with bullet placement. Elk do not "drop" unles a bullet enters the brain, breaks the spinal column or hits close enough to it to shock the central nervous system and cause the muscles in the outer extremities to quit working thereby causing the animal to "drop" , fall or otherwise go tits up. Pick whatever caliber you like and shoot a 5-700 lb animal through the ribs and he will be dead on his feet, but he will still be on his feet for sometime.
Another thing that has not been mentioned here in all this talk of what caliber "drops" elk the best is the fact that you are new to hunting, and planning to take your wife, so BEWARE, killing aint pretty! Animails tend to want to stay alive, and they kick , flop, grunt, bawl, bleed and generally make an ugly mess in the dying process. You had better be sure your wife, and yourself, are ready for this.
Another thing to think about is, what happens after that lovely creature has been relegated to so much dead meat, and how to take care of it . You still have to gut it , quarter it, and carry it to what ever mode of transportation you are useing, then get it home and care for it before it gets to be wrapped in those pretty little packages that you thaw out and cook.
Dont get me wrong.....I am glad to welcome both you and your wife to the hunting fraternity, but i want you to know what you are getting into. AJ

Last edited by dogdinger; 01-19-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 PM

Location: Houston TX but come from Colorado where I like to hunt

Ok - so since shot placement trumps caliber and bullet size we need to get something that we can practice with to build a good base for shooting in the field. I would really like to get a 6.5X284 but after researching a bullet/loads I think I like the 140VLD 6.5mmX284 Berger Hunting round the most but they are out of stock everywhere! - I think that would be a great round to be able to practice with and develope some confidence for as far as long range hunting goes - any ideas or coments??? Thanks everyone!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 PM

Location: Houston TX but come from Colorado where I like to hunt

Dogdinger - where do you place your shots when hunting elk?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHeer View Post
Ok - so since shot placement trumps caliber and bullet size we need to get something that we can practice with to build a good base for shooting in the field. I would really like to get a 6.5X284 but after researching a bullet/loads I think I like the 140VLD 6.5mmX284 Berger Hunting round the most but they are out of stock everywhere! - I think that would be a great round to be able to practice with and develope some confidence for as far as long range hunting goes - any ideas or coments??? Thanks everyone!!!
My long range rigs are a 338 Lapua and a couple of 6.5x284's. The 6.5x284 is great long range round. I had the same idea years back and became immediately addicted. But, you really need to own and shoot one at 1000+ yards for a while to get the full appreciation for how truly accurate, and confidence building this round is. I shoot the 140 Berger VLD's at 2975 FPS. Never had any problem getting bullets. Just bought a few hundred 140 Hunting VLD Bergers from Sinclairs.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

SR...... it all depends on the situation. If i am hunting public land, which i do mostly, and not in a situation where i can patiently wait for that "perfect" shot, i shoot them in the biggest widest spot where i am most likely to hit lungs, heart or a combination of both. If he is still on his feet, i shoot him again. There are to many variables out there to assume that one bullet will do the job every time. typically i am a meat hunter and hate shooting elk in spots that waste a bunch of meat so i typically stay away from the shoulder. if i feel that there is time and i have a good solid rest, head shots are not out of the question.
When hunting, there are always many factors to consider before pulling the trigger. One big consideration is also where that bullet will go if it is a pass through shot. A lot of elk hunters will start shooting at elk that are herded up, and when that bull doesnt fall right away, keep banging away, with the result that you end up with three or four dead elk when the dust settles. Try not to get caught up in that situation.

You will get a lot of advise here, use what works for you, but my best advise is : whatever gun choice you make, do lots of shooting with it under many different scenarios, not just off the bench....know your limitations ......have fun. AJ
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
Having been in on killing over 75 elk, with rifle, pistol, ML and bow, either pulling the trigger or right beside whoever pulled it ,I feel i can speak with some authority.

First lets get something straight here. I went back and re-read you post and what you are asking here has nothing to do with caliber choice, it has to do with bullet placement. Elk do not "drop" unles a bullet enters the brain, breaks the spinal column or hits close enough to it to shock the central nervous system and cause the muscles in the outer extremities to quit working thereby causing the animal to "drop" , fall or otherwise go tits up. Pick whatever caliber you like and shoot a 5-700 lb animal through the ribs and he will be dead on his feet, but he will still be on his feet for sometime.
Another thing that has not been mentioned here in all this talk of what caliber "drops" elk the best is the fact that you are new to hunting, and planning to take your wife, so BEWARE, killing aint pretty! Animails tend to want to stay alive, and they kick , flop, grunt, bawl, bleed and generally make an ugly mess in the dying process. You had better be sure your wife, and yourself, are ready for this.
Another thing to think about is, what happens after that lovely creature has been relegated to so much dead meat, and how to take care of it . You still have to gut it , quarter it, and carry it to what ever mode of transportation you are useing, then get it home and care for it before it gets to be wrapped in those pretty little packages that you thaw out and cook.
Dont get me wrong.....I am glad to welcome both you and your wife to the hunting fraternity, but i want you to know what you are getting into. AJ

I'm going to argue with some of this. I've collapsed elk with my .375-.358STA and .416 Rem. with both frontal shots and shots through the lungs without hitting the brain/CNS/or major bone. The saying "there is no replacement for displacement" definitely holds true with killing elk. I've killed north of 30 elk myself and have easily witnessed that many more killed by others. I used a 7STW, .30-.338, .308 Baer, .30-8mm mag, .358STA, .375-.358STA, and .416 Rem. in addition to .50 and .54 caliber muzzleloaders. For short range (under 500yds) it's hard to beat the .375's and .416's for shear knock down and muzzleloaders can be quite impressive with good bullets at close range.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHeer View Post
Even if I consider a 300WSM I would want to get a blast or noise suppressor - who makes a good muzzle break/suppressor combo? I don't care about the looks or length - it would be nice to be able to remove and install when needed or not - right now I am leaning on buying a Savage 11/111 LRH - and I like the balistics of the 7WSM for 140-160wt bullets which are great for antelope and deer and maybe elk - don't really know if the 300 bullets are that much better. How much better are the 300 bullets in 180 to 200 range compared to the 140 - 160s of 7mm for one shot elk kills? - is there that much difference when it comes to LRH for elk?

A few years ago I too had a Tika T3 300WSM and it was just too much - too loud and kicked too much - Chad my son and the best shot of all couldn't handle - so I sold it but I may consider buying another and putting a muzzle break and noise suppressor on it to be able to effectivly LRH elk! My son Chad is now in the Air Force and he shot his second elk with a 7-08 at 450yrds but it was a head shot and of course dropped it - very impressive! It make me feel better to drop game with one shot because I really dont want them to suffer! I don't want to shoot if I am going to wound and not kill right away!
Surefire, but they are expensive. Would be cheaper and just as good to go with a TBAC suppressor or so I am told.