Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 4422′44″N 1082′35″W
Posts: 3,851
Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Very cool, I have felt this way for quite a while now. I have a factory 375 rum that shoots the 270TSX at 3200 fps and I have had it on steel at 1100 many times. The 375 is by far one of the most versatile calibers out there. I have no qualms at all about shooting something at 50 or 1000 yards with it.
__________________
Mike

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 119
Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Seeing that rifle has made me that much more excited about the Raptor Stalker in 300AX I have you building for me.

What's the finish on the barrel and action? Looks like its just bead blasted.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fort Shaw, Montana
Posts: 6,796
Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
You are very welcome! The reason I asked about the twist and mag is I was looking at the CEB .375 350's. They require an 11" twist or better and have a claimed BC of .88-.9 I'm thinking they would do a good job on the buff as well. But they have 1.4" of nose projection which I think would make them a single shot option with that mag box and not practical for buff hunting. A great option for long range deer and elk though.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...n&key=MTH_L350

Another interesting bullet would be the GSC FN type bullet. That would probably be my choice for buff (and other dangerous game) inside 100 yds.

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - FN Solids, the ultimate dangerous game bullet.

Once again, a fine looking and shooting rifle! Your customer should be tickled.
When I designed the 375 Allen Xpress, the 350 gr SMK was just being developed by Sierra for Cheytac and they sent me some to do some testing in my 375 Allen Magnum because they wanted to see if they would survive the velocity potential of the 375 Allen Magnum which they knew would be producing 200 fps more velocity then they were looking to get with their 375 Cheytac. I was more then happy to help them out.

I also found out at that time Jamison International would be the one handling the distribution of this bullet for Cheytac so I had a bit of an in as they were making my Allen Magnum brass at that time.

After testing the 350 gr SMK, it was clear that the 350 gr SMK in 375 cal was EXTEMELY similar in ballistic performance to the 300 gr SMK in 338 caliber. Now we all know that bullet works alright......

Instantly the wheels started rolling, imagine the barrel life on a 375 Allen Xpress..... So was the start of the 375 Allen Xpress. Initially, it was designed as a long range chambering that would offer nearly the same ballistic performance as the 338 AX with the 300 gr SMK but with a higher kenetic energy load and noticeably longer barrel life.

Since then however, its become obvious that it can perform the dual role of heavy game/ some dangerous game and long range potential as well.

I think those bullets you list would be great choices and I would have no doubt they would flatten any buff on the planet yet offer a much better BC then the 350 gr barnes TSX no doubt!!!

The 350 gr SMK has proven to have a very heavy jacket which limits expansion even at well over 3300 fps muzzle velocity. I have been working (when I get a spare moment, not many this time of year) on modifying these bullets with a large aluminum tip that would not only boost BC dramatically but also hopefully aid in long range expansion. That's really a project for this coming winter but your right, there is a HUGE amount of potential in the 375 cal and hopefully bullet makers will keep listening to use and keep making us long range options in 375 cal. Berger is rumored to be working on a LR 375 cal bullet, can not wait for that one.
__________________
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fort Shaw, Montana
Posts: 6,796
Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I got my money on the Montanans, esp. the gunbuilder, of course I'm bias ... but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sometimes you just can satisfy all the peeps and of course they are entitled to ...

Harry Callahan's opinion on opinions - YouTube

That's funny, and terribly appropriate!!!
__________________
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fort Shaw, Montana
Posts: 6,796
Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Very cool, I have felt this way for quite a while now. I have a factory 375 rum that shoots the 270TSX at 3200 fps and I have had it on steel at 1100 many times. The 375 is by far one of the most versatile calibers out there. I have no qualms at all about shooting something at 50 or 1000 yards with it.
The 375 RUM is a hell of a chambering, as with the other 375s, it has HUGE potential, we just need to untap it with new bullets!!!
__________________
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fort Shaw, Montana
Posts: 6,796
Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAoudadKlr View Post
Seeing that rifle has made me that much more excited about the Raptor Stalker in 300AX I have you building for me.

What's the finish on the barrel and action? Looks like its just bead blasted.
Getting closer all the time and I truly appreciate the patients. I know the wait is very hard but I do my best to make sure its well worth the wait.

The finish is a bead blasted finish but I use a special blast media that gives the stainless steel a deeper grey color then a standard glass bead finish. If someone wants some specific color, cerakote finish is always an option.
__________________
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
When I designed the 375 Allen Xpress, the 350 gr SMK was just being developed by Sierra for Cheytac and they sent me some to do some testing in my 375 Allen Magnum because they wanted to see if they would survive the velocity potential of the 375 Allen Magnum which they knew would be producing 200 fps more velocity then they were looking to get with their 375 Cheytac. I was more then happy to help them out.

I also found out at that time Jamison International would be the one handling the distribution of this bullet for Cheytac so I had a bit of an in as they were making my Allen Magnum brass at that time.

After testing the 350 gr SMK, it was clear that the 350 gr SMK in 375 cal was EXTEMELY similar in ballistic performance to the 300 gr SMK in 338 caliber. Now we all know that bullet works alright......

Instantly the wheels started rolling, imagine the barrel life on a 375 Allen Xpress..... So was the start of the 375 Allen Xpress. Initially, it was designed as a long range chambering that would offer nearly the same ballistic performance as the 338 AX with the 300 gr SMK but with a higher kenetic energy load and noticeably longer barrel life.

Since then however, its become obvious that it can perform the dual role of heavy game/ some dangerous game and long range potential as well.

I think those bullets you list would be great choices and I would have no doubt they would flatten any buff on the planet yet offer a much better BC then the 350 gr barnes TSX no doubt!!!

The 350 gr SMK has proven to have a very heavy jacket which limits expansion even at well over 3300 fps muzzle velocity. I have been working (when I get a spare moment, not many this time of year) on modifying these bullets with a large aluminum tip that would not only boost BC dramatically but also hopefully aid in long range expansion. That's really a project for this coming winter but your right, there is a HUGE amount of potential in the 375 cal and hopefully bullet makers will keep listening to use and keep making us long range options in 375 cal. Berger is rumored to be working on a LR 375 cal bullet, can not wait for that one.
Yup, I think the 375 AX would make a great Safari and LR hunter. The CEB 330's would fit the magazine and still have a real good BC. I bet you could probably get them moving over 3000 fps. A 350 gr Berger sounds interesting as well.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...on&key=MTH_L02

I like the idea of a 375 AM pushing 425 CEB's real fast. A guy might be able to shoot 2 miles with it.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES - 62.45%
1,071 Vote
NO - 37.55%
644 Votes
Total Votes: 1,715
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC