Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

All I see is a hillside and a rock of an unknown size and bullet rounds hitting somewhere in the vicinity of the rock. There is nothing measurable here so I have no idea if you have a 1 moa group or a 5 moa group.

Set up a target and give us some actual measurements. IMO this video means nothing other than your rounds are hitting in the same general area, which any rifle could do.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
The target is roughly 1 moa wide and 1/2 moa tall to give reference to the group size. For more reference, the small round white rock down and to the left of the impact sight is 1/4 moa in size. Most of the shots fired went WELL under 1/2 moa with all easily going under 3/4 moa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairflr View Post
All I see is a hillside and a rock of an unknown size and bullet rounds hitting somewhere in the vicinity of the rock. There is nothing measurable here so I have no idea if you have a 1 moa group or a 5 moa group.

Set up a target and give us some actual measurements. IMO this video means nothing other than your rounds are hitting in the same general area, which any rifle could do.
A quote from his first post above. ^

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Well the video was very clear to me. The shots looked well under MOA from the video and if Kirby said it was half MOA or less than that's what it was.

Beautiful rifle Kirby, and great shooting! What twist is the bore and what's the magazine length?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

That worked. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Got it. Cool video. I won't quibble over the finer points,but I will say this. I don't want him shooting at me at 1,070! 6X scope or not.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairflr View Post

Yes I agree . This proves or highlights nothing in my view.
Although I do agree that high quality glass is better than lower quality but higher power in most cases and to a point .
Eye sight has a lot to do with it also , with 20 20 vision and a top quality scope you can see better than some other people who have less than perfect vision and no so high quality scopes.
I think the needs of personal choice is a whole lot more complicated than what one single person may be happy with.
I know a young guy that can see my 30 cal holes in the target at 200 meters with the naked eye.
I can't see them at 50 meters . There is no way we are going to be happy with the same scope power .
Old 09-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
Yes I agree . This proves or highlights nothing in my view.
Although I do agree that high quality glass is better than lower quality but higher power in most cases and to a point .
Eye sight has a lot to do with it also , with 20 20 vision and a top quality scope you can see better than some other people who have less than perfect vision and no so high quality scopes.
I think the needs of personal choice is a whole lot more complicated than what one single person may be happy with.
I know a young guy that can see my 30 cal holes in the target at 200 meters with the naked eye.
I can't see them at 50 meters . There is no way we are going to be happy with the same scope power .
I think you missed the whole point, nice shooting Kirby I wish I had a place for one of your rifles. Living in the Midwest really big hammers are some what impractical.