Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Well, Its common knowledge that you need a BC of at least .5 and preferably +.7 to have real long range consistency. Also common knowledge that if you do not have a high powered scope, your just wasting your time, at least that's what some think. Personally, I feel image quality is far more important then mag power.

Anyway, just tested a rifle that SHOULD NOT be a long range chambering at least in the load used for this testing so wanted to offer some video proof that sometimes a non long range bullet can really surprise us and with a low powered scope.

The rifle specs are as follows:

APS Raptor Stalker rifle (10 lb bare rifle weight)
375 Allen Xpress
26" barrel length
Swaro 1-6x scope (non parallax adjustable)
350 gr TSX loaded to 2800 fps (.420 BC)

Now, this load is for hammering a cape buff at 50 yards.....

Here are some pics of the rifle

Anyway, here is a clip of the long range accuracy test session with this rifle and 350 gr TSX at a measured 1070 yards. First shot was taken after testing with the 250 gr TTSX so that's the reason for the low impact. After a scope adjustment the rifle was landing within 1/2 moa of point of aim which was the white spot running diagonal in the center of the view. Turned out this was an old cow pie which is why the second shot after the scope adjustment is very difficult to see. If you look close you will see it impact on the far left edge of the target with not much signature. The rest landed just below the target.

Now, remember this rifle is fitted with a 1-6x scope that has no parallax adjustment. The target is roughly 1 moa wide and 1/2 moa tall to give reference to the group size. For more reference, the small round white rock down and to the left of the impact sight is 1/4 moa in size. Most of the shots fired went WELL under 1/2 moa with all easily going under 3/4 moa.

Wind conditions were also a bit tricky, at my shooting position, the wind was full value 8-10 mph from my right. At the shooting location, it was around 10 mph but from the 2 o'clock direction. Made very little difference.

Anyway, think this rifle and load could EASILY hammer a whitetail at 1070 yards!!!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByQe...it?usp=sharing

Nothing like having a rifle that could not be better suited for taking a cape buff at 25 yards or chasing brown bears in Alaska and on the same day take a Kudu or caribou at +1000 yards with just a scope dial up!!!! They do not get much more flexible then this.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Hmmm... Says I need permission for access.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Gold Member

Re: So you think you need high BC and magnificantion for long range shooting....

Another very interesting post about what is possible with equipment that most folks don't think of as long range!

I have been doing some work along the same lines to see what is possible with my 375 H&H. My initial results exceeded my expectations. I still need to finish load development and get some shooting done @ 600 yards to validate my numbers. I don't have access to a longer range than that, so 600 it is.

I fooled around some with 250g TTSX's, but had such good results with 300g bullets that I have decided to go that direction. I started out with a Meopta 1.5-6x42. It's a great scope for field use and offhand shooting, but the eye relief is a bit short for bench work.

It looks to me like Hornady 300g BTSP's @ 2700ish will work very well with a RZ 1000 reticle and carry enough freight to take a deer at 1000 yards. I just happen to have a scope with that reticle and plan to test the combination.

If I can get them to shoot, CE 300's or 320's will take me out to around 1500. Then I will have to find some place where I can shoot that far!

Thanks again for some excellent information. I really like the .375's and feel there is a lot of untapped potential to be had there. I find it encouraging to see the results of your work!
Old 09-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
I am getting the same thing. I will take fiftydriver's word for it. Would love to see the video, though.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

Me too. I don't have a pass word or account. That is a nasty looking hammer though. Those Buff should be loosing sleep.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
See if it works now. Still trying to figure out this Gmail Drive program.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByQe...it?usp=sharing

Try this

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com