Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

So many questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

So many questions?

I have a model 700 BDL 300 Ultra that I am looking to make into a custom. It currently has a HS precision sporter stock on it and a KDF muzzle break. I have talked to so many Gunsmiths on this website and others and every one has a different opinion and cost. I want a new barrel, accurize action and a jewel trigger. how can there be such a wide span in costs from one smith to another? I'm thinking a 27" Lilja barrel with a break. What break I dont no? Holland, Muscle break, DE break, Fat Bastard supposedly all are better than the KDF. Than I just bought a Swarovski A line scope on clearance which is the most Ive ever spent on a scope and people tell me I should sell it and get a mark 4. I give up................
Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: So many questions?

You have a fantastic rifle and scope for whatever you want to hunt so why change it. I like what you have.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

+1 sounds good to me too. If it isn't broke dont fix it. Good Luck!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

Similarly, almost two years ago, I was talking to one of the local gunsmith's about re-barreling my SAKO M995 in .300WM. The first he asked was "How does she shoot?". When I showed him the groups I was getting, he said "Don't do a thing until the barrel is all shut out."

I settled for his custom muzzle brake instead for $210 (includes a cap). The brake works like Holland's QD - felt recoil is comparable to .308's.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Gold Member

Sounds like you are off to a good start - put the scope on the gun and start shooting.

How does the gun currently shoot?

If you are looking at keeping the cost down you could look at some basic things before going to a new barrel. Has the action been bedded - if not it is relatively inexpensive to do that. Have the trigger cleaned up. Have the barrel recrowned. Are you satisfied with the recoil reduction of the KDF brake? I have a Rem Sendero 300 win mag with Center Shot Rifles 3 port brake on it - the felt recoil is minimal - more of a push. I also have a gun built by Defensive Edge - 338rum #5 Hart 26" barrel, HS Precision stock.... it has their brake on it - I was truely surprised at how pleasant the gun is to shoot - again just a gentle push. As an FYI - I have shot a Remington 700 300rum without a brake - to say the least I did not find the experience pleasant at all.

What part of the country do you live in?
RMNS 8:28
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the replies, I live in Oregon and the gun is not a tack driver by any means. I load 87.5 grains of RL25 WITH 200 GRAIN ACCUBONDS. The OAL is 3.60 due to the magazine length. I have looked at Wyatts boxes but havent pulled the trigger on the purchase. I am relatively new to a lot of the aspects of custom guns, reloading and overall Knowledge. The gun shoots 1.5 to 2.0 groups at 100 yards when Im doing good. Love this website and looking for someone to take me in and lead me to the promise land.LOL.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Gold Member

Oh and no it has not been bedded. Completely stock besides HS stock, Trigger adjusted and brake.