Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Smoked a bear with my 338 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Nice shot and a great bear Shawn. Those AM's sure make that kind of shot nice don't they.

Mayhem
Old 09-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Shawn:

Great story and writeup and super shooting. Almost a chip shot for you and the AM. Glad to hear the AM gave you some good laughs while setting up for the shot. Too bad the little sucker didn't run uphill, but they never do that.

Bear fat can really mess up a potential blood trail sometimes.

Sorry you had to pack all the gear without any partner's help but at least you have the bear, some good video and you still got to go to work .
Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm, 16.75 MOA elev and 2.25 for the wind..... Good doping as indicated by the results.

I read and reread your article in an attempt to get item #1 firmly locked in my knoggin'.

Good shooting and a darn nice bear.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Awesome and you write well, probably too well cos I want to get into that kind of distance and just know its going to make me even poorer.

Congratulations, nice write up, nice bear and when are we gonna see the vid???
Old 09-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Awesome shot Shawn, you always make it look easy. I hope we see the video soon.

Take care,
Oneshot
Old 09-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Well, congrats my friend!!!! Great rifle, great ammo and great shot. Hey, at least I can say my name is on the chamber!!!

I think I have a cure for those sealed up exit wounds, the aluminum tip should remedy that issue very well!!!

Anyway, great shot and a great bear for sure. Seems you win the award for taking the first big game critter with the 338 AM, more to come soon however. I am kind of kicking myself now not taking my elk with my 338 AM but not knowing how the bullet would penetrate I felt the less extreme 338 AX would be a better choice.

Anyway, at 607 yards, using the AM would really have been a bit silly feeling!!!!

At first when I started shooting the 338 AM, I would have to take a double take everytime I ran the drop charts thinking I entered some incorrect numbers, now, like you say, it just brings a smile to my face.

Took my big girl out this morning for some range practice getting ready for pronghorn season. After getting the new rail base and ring set up on the rifle I wanted to get her zeroed in. With an 800 yard zero I took aim at a small target rock at 1320 yards. 12.25 moa was reported as the correct vertical hold. There was only a light tail wind so I did not adjust for windage. Took three shots to get a hit adjusting the scope between each shot to get the rifle on track.

Then ranged an even smaller rock at 1720 yards. Ran the numbers with a 5 mph breeze from my 5:00 position. Exbal told me to give her 24.75 moa up and 1.25 moa for the wind.

First shot broke the bottom edge of the rock, second shot broke the top edge and the final third shot landed just off the right edge of the rock. We drove up and found that the rock was roughly 8" in diameter. The three shots had landed under 1/2 moa at nearly a mile!!! I think we are getting ready for some pronghorn chasing here in less then a month!!!

Again, congrats on your fine shot and great bear!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Sponsor

By the time next fall rolls around you'll have the poor thing worn out before late whitetail season. Having 2 338 AM's around next fall could be tough on the big whitetail buck population. Good luck on the goats.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659