Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

smk at short range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: smk at short range

As few responses as I have had I am rather nervous to try the smk at short range on gave bigger than deer. Noone has mentioned using them at close range on anything but deer and bobcat. I am trying to get some cold, hard facts about there use on elk and black bear at under 50 yards where bullet speed is still very high. Telling me that you shot a deer or bobcat is not helping. I know that the bullet will work on smaller big game at close range and elk sized game at long range but how about elk at close range? Thanks, Rufous.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

I'm heading down to Texas the first week in March. I'll be taking my 338 RUM and the 300 Sierra as well as a 300 Win Mag and the 190 Sierra. My hunting partner will be shooting the 175 Sierra from a 308 Win.

We'll be shooting hogs at all ranges and hopefully video the events. I ill try to do some autopsies and retain the recovered bullets. There may also be an exotic or two, I'm leaning toward an Eland.

If you can wait I'll try to get some more close range results for you, and everyone else.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:55 AM

rufous,
I feel you are right on target with your bullet choices especially for elk. I took a bull some years ago at 30yds using 160gr Partition out of 7mag while he was quartering away. One shot- one bull. I feel the matchking may not penetrate on a quarter shot on elk at close range at magnumn velocities. It will be interesting to hear Dave's report. I plan on using the same bullet combo as you are out of my 30-338 for elk except I will be trying the 200gr Matchking for long range. Mr Jones
Old 02-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Rufous,

It isn't what you asked for but interesting though, we shot the 338/378wby through 3/8" plate steel at 200yds. Velocity with the 300gr Sierra MK is 2975 fps at the muzzle and still over 2730 at 200yds which I'm sure yours is close to also.

The surprising thing about it was the plate was at a 45 angle to us, not 90. So they penitrated over 5/8" of steel at least. I know that animals offer some resistance, but equal to this? I was pretty amazed. Dave's results will no doubt be devastating, to the animal that is.

Brown bear, well they might be thinking of something else before their ready to die reguardless.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Dave,

If your coming by San Antonio, stop by and we'll compare notes.

Jim
Old 02-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know if I'll be that far south. I'm headed to Knox County, Knox City and O'Brien. There is some talk of heading south for an exotic or two.

Could happen though!
Old 02-12-2002, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Dave,

Knox City and O'Brien are about 300 miles from San Antonio. Knox City is supposed to have a real good outfitter there. I think it's called Stanfield Hunting Outfitters. I think they mostly do birds and hogs.

Where are thinking about hunting exotics? I've been to the YO Ranch several times, they are first class.

I have Axis deer on my small place, if you make another trip down here, and want one, let me know. My prices are the best in Texas (free for active or retired military and beer, corn, or labor from everyone else [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

If we have any Turkey hunters that need a Rio Grande Turkey, e-mail me. We have HUNDREDS on the ranchette, I don't think anyone hunts them around there.

Jim