Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

SMK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

SMK

Despite reading all the various SMK posts, I still don't really understand the issues surrounding its use.

Would an SMK devotee be kind enough to explain why they would choose it over a Nosler BT (eg 300 win mag 180 SMK vs 180 Nosler BT)?
Old 01-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: SMK

SMKs are accurate, they're used in the rounds many of us shoot for competitions and grouping tests. The vast majority of my (our) data is for SMKs.

Nosler BTs....well... well.... aahhhh... "they blow up on impact" yeah, that's it! "They blow up on impact". Not really, they're fine too but I shoot MatchKings for the vast majority of my shooting, why change??

I probably shoot 500 or more MatchKings downrange in practice for every round I fire "hunting" big game... I like SMKs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] They work fine and kill animals very dead.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Bronze Member

Brown dog,

Try Hornady A-Max. They are better than the SMK. They will destroy any whitetail in its path at any range. SMK's are over rated. Which bullet was used for the new world record? A-MAX!!!
Old 01-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

I agree that the A-Max is an excellent bullet. I wasn't, however, aware that it performed flawlessly at any range and/or impact velocity. Wow...

Additionally, I had no idea the SMKs were so overrated. I was under the impression the SMKs had a hell of a track record and offered incredible consistency for an extremely affordable cost.

But then, maybe that's true only in my reality [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I still like the SMK's but I like the AMAX better also. At least my rifle likes em better. My rifle shoots the AMAX more accurately more often.

Match kings are still worth shooting if a given rifle really likes em.

Ballistic tips wont stay as stable as long as a SMK or an AMAX.

Just my 2 cents
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

i'm a firm believer that bullet placement is everything. granted, i dont advise 100gr bullets on elk, but staying within reason, a well placed shot is going to do the job. i dont use SMK's in my 270 because i dont plan on shooting more than 300-400yds, but on my long distance guns that i also do competition with, i use SMK's for accuracy reasons. shooting all summer long ensures come hunting season, i know right where that bullet is going to end up. one quick look around here and theres more than enough proof that SMK's work. so, if the bullet will do the job, and using that bullet year round i know how to put it where i want it, why would i use something else? that incorporates a whole new set of load data and requires quite a bit of practice time. i shoot the same load for competition right up until hunting season, and then use it for hunting.

-brian