Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

'Smithed factory vs custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

'Smithed factory vs custom

At what point does it go from pure functionality to just bragging rights? If you have lets say a Savage 10FCP in H&S stock,send it off to get accurised and cost of total rifle(buying plus work) comes to say $1500(if that). Now it consistently shoots .6 or.7. How do you justify the price of some customs out there that perform the same? Is it a longevity thing? Should the issue be are you using it for hunting or benchrest comps(where the tiniest variable in accuracy means a loss or victory?
I ask this question,"cause as someone saving to get my first rifle one day,it gets intimidating,almost like something is wrong with a $1000 or less rifle.I know its not true,but where does the justification of the huge price difference come into play? Lets assume we are comparing two 308's.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: 'Smithed factory vs custom

A ton of money can get wrapped up into a custom but it is just that a"CUSTOM". If you have a specific purpose for the gun like compitition, long range hunting, benchrest, tactial, or just doing something different, they all serve a purpose.

Now, thats not to say that a factory rifle wont do alot of these things but more options are availible and can be custom tailored to the shooter. Often on a factory rifle you would have to settle for at least one feature you dont like. Not so with a custom.

By the time its all said and done you may have 1,2,or 3 thousand wrapped up into and it may not shoot better than your accurized savage but it is your custom rifle made to YOUR spec. And chances are you will shoot it better than most others. Hope this anwsers some of your question. I'm sure other will chime in.

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

I build custom because I want a specific caliber, weight, and fit. Hunting is also the only hobby I have(they are cheaper than boats and new vehicles). I would not call it bragging rights to have custom rifles. I look at it as having a 9/16 wrench to tighten a nut or a crescent wrench. Both will do the job. One will do the job alittle better.

You can build a semi-custom for $1500 or a spare no expense full for $3000 and up. It all is up to you. What are you content with is all that matters. My experience is don't settle, and build what you really want. Or else you won't be satisfied.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Well, I'm no expert, but I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a 10 FCP-K in .308. I just ordered a left handed 110 FCP-K from Savage's custom shop which is going to cost me $874 out the door. It would have been $674 if I wasn't a southpaw. It comes with an accutrigger which will go as light as 2.5lbs. and has an accustock which is aluminum bedded. The gun has also has a heavy fluted barrel and a muzzle break. Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like a commercial, but I'm just saying that some "regular" guns have some nice features. Now there is a question of accuracy. I don't know how much is enough. I would say sub MOA is good. I'm sure others on this site will disagree.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Alot of this comes down to expectations.

You send off your factory sav to have an HS stock and accuracy package done. It comes back and you spend the next month doing load work to find a bullet it will shoot intop the 1/2 to 3/4 range. If 10 guys do this at least 3 of them wont find sub 3/4 minute. Yet they have $1200 to $1500 wrapped up in a factory rifle, with a factory barrel.

For $1500 a full custom rifle can be built from scratch on a Sav target action. Now you have a gun with a custom barrel that shoots sub 1/2 minute, with the second load you try in the gun. A little work might get you in the .1-.2 range. Sure it's easy to go over $1500, add barrel fluting, and step up the stock from an HS and the price will climb.

Step up to a custom action and a high name stock and you will be in the $2000+ range. But what you get is an asurance that you have the best money can buy. Easy cleaning, accurate, and built the way you want it. And if you are an avid shooter/hunter, when the barrel goes you invest in a new one and a fitting job.
now that custom is on it's second life with minimal cost.

I loaded 7 bullets to test fire a new 338 edge today, full custom, I only had to shoot 3 of them, because the very first 3 bullets landed on top of each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................. thats why customs are so popular, they instil confidence in the shooter, are easy to load for, and "only accurate rifles are interesting."
Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho View Post
At what point does it go from pure functionality to just bragging rights? If you have lets say a Savage 10FCP in H&S stock,send it off to get accurised and cost of total rifle(buying plus work) comes to say $1500(if that). Now it consistently shoots .6 or.7. How do you justify the price of some customs out there that perform the same? Is it a longevity thing? Should the issue be are you using it for hunting or benchrest comps(where the tiniest variable in accuracy means a loss or victory?
I ask this question,"cause as someone saving to get my first rifle one day,it gets intimidating,almost like something is wrong with a $1000 or less rifle.I know its not true,but where does the justification of the huge price difference come into play? Lets assume we are comparing two 308's.
There is a fine line between a full blown custom and a customized factory rifle as far as accuracy
goes. The Money however is a different story.

A "good" smith can take most factory actions and make them shoot as well as the custom action
but the end cost can be almost as much depending on the custom action purchased.

So if you take the Savage or any other factory rifle and replace the barrel with a top quality
barrel and do all of the truing to the action that normally does not have to be done to the
custom action and do a proper chambering job and place it in a good stock if the factory
stock is not very good they should shoot equally well.

The main advantage of using a factory rifle as a donor is that if you have a rifle that will not
shoot or has a shot out barrel with a little work and a good barrel you can turn a safe queen
into your favorite hunting rifle.

The reason a lot of people opt for the full blown custom is accuracy and some bragging rights.
because you can have one of a kind and most custom actions are a thing of beauty.

I would think that most of the smiths on this site could take a factory action and make it shoot
sub 1/2 MOA groups all day long if given the right parts .

Once you replace the barrel or even the stock on a factory rifle it could be called a custom
because you changed it to suit your needs or to improve it's accuracy. But a custom rifle normally infers that all nessary steps have been taken to assure accuracy to the point the
customer demands.

So if your looking for a rifle that will shoot .6 to .7 groups you don't need to spend the money
on a full blown custom. But if it's 1/4 MOA groups then a total rebuild of a factory rifle or a total
custom rifle is in order.

A few factory rifles guarantee an accuracy max but they are on the high end of cost. Most smiths
will guarantee 1/2 MOA or less at about the same cost unless it is based on a custom action.

So I guess my answer would be = When the owner reaches the point that he is satisfied with
the total performance of the rifle for the money spent there is no need to go any further.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

I'll give an example, Savage Mod 12 FV w/ Super Sniper Stock, 6-24X50 Bushnell Elite 4200, EGW Base, Buris XTR Rings, hand loading Lapua brass, Nosler Custom Comp 168 Boat Tails, with Varget at a speed of 2780 fps.

Cost= $1000 total package
Accuracy= @100 yrds .5 when my cousin does his part.

Now a custom w/ same gun owner

Same super sniper stock, Savage Target Action, 32" Douglas barrel, 338 Lapua brass brass, 300 grn SMK, Same EGW Base, Same Burris XTR Rings, and probably going to add a break.

Cost of action, barrel, machining the stock to fit the action, and the break= Currently has $1000, owes $450, and the break will add an additional $250 for break and instalation. =$1700

Should he needed to purchase a base, rings and scope=$600

Total package after tax=$2300

Don't know what the 100yrd is producing, but between two different loads in an underground indoor 25yrd range produced a one whole group. That doesn't tell us what it will due at 100yrds.

So $1000 for a total package sit at the range and shoot 1/2" holes, or $2300 for a total package and hope you can get what you paid for. Just a thought.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!