Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Smartphone ballistic apps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Smartphone ballistic apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I have an old style flip phone but I thought about upgrading to a smart phone . That way I can download Shooter or Brians . At my hunting club I have zero cell phone signals so my question is would I be able to use shooter with no cell phone service ?
Thanks
Yes you can
Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

A friend has Shooter on his Ipad touch.
I am ignorant with electronic devices, where can I buy the cheapest Ipads.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I have an old style flip phone but I thought about upgrading to a smart phone . That way I can download Shooter or Brians . At my hunting club I have zero cell phone signals so my question is would I be able to use shooter with no cell phone service ?
Thanks
Yes sir... There are certain features where it uses a connection if you have one (like populating environmental data from the web and saving gun profiles), but these are just added features and not necessary when using the app for ballistic calc. I've used it many times with no service where I hunt/shoot.

-James
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

Gotta go with the Shooter App!! Good stuff, and G7 balistics to boot!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Bronze Member

I have iStrelok for the iPhone. Can't beat it for being free I have never tried shooter though. Bullet Drop is decent but not as many features.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfire57 View Post
If you're looking to buy a used one, I'd start looking around at pawn shops and electronics stores. You might find an older model pretty cheap. You could even look on Craigslist or eBay, if you want to go that route. Maybe even post a "WTB" add on the classified section here. I've never seen one for sale, but there's probably someone that has one that doesn't need it anymore.

Otherwise new ones are gonna be pretty close to the same price everywhere. Most of the big electronic chain stores will have them (Best Buy, Conn's, Fry's, etc). I'm not sure what's in your area. I think Walmart and Target even carry them now, come to think about it.

-James
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfire57 View Post
iPad, or iPod touch? They are different devices.

It's cheaper (and a lot smaller) to buy an iPod touch and use that. I used one for my ballistic programs before I got my iPhone 10 months ago, and it works great. See link:

Apple - iPod touch

Honestly, I'd be a bit leery about a used iPod Touch. There are fakes on ebay, and the price is about the same anywhere you go for a new one. If you can find a known seller who happened to upgrade to a new one, that's your best bet. As with the iPhone look for a 4th or 5th generation Touch, as there are much better features. However, for about the same price as an iPod Touch you can probably upgrade to an iPhone and have a far better unit.