Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Slob hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Slob hunters

I was out on an elk hunt with my 2 oldest kids who are 14 and 17 and had a run in with some ****** guys. I had shot an elk and a guy drove up and says any luck? I said yep all excited and he drives by. My kids and I drove to the other side of the clearcut to get the elk and while trying to find the spot about 15 guys showed up standing around the top of the cut. I started watching them thru my binos and noticed 3 of them scoping us with their rifles laid across the top of stumps. Needless to say I got pretty pissed and a little nervous, enough that I took my kids and left. We came back about an hour later and the guys were still there with their wives sitting in the trucks blocking the roads. We went back the next morning and about 60 yards from where we stopped looking there lay the gut wad and hide. I called the state police and the trooper said they have complaints about that group of hunters every year. I have heard stories about this kind of stuff happening but holly smokes this sucks. Ryan
Old 11-15-2013, 10:38 PM

re: Slob hunters

We have idiots like that here in Pa. It sucks
Old 11-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

First, congrats on getting an elk.

Let me guess... Oregon coast range, general season? ODFW and any sort of law enforcement patrol is pretty much non existent. ODFW is pathetic. All they do is raise license fees for local and out of state hunters to put in the state general fund while game herds in Oregon are decimated by poaching.

Mad to hear that that happened to you, but it really doesn't come as a surprise.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

Yeah it was the coast elk. We were hunting the Wilson unit out by Elsie
Old 11-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

What you are describing isn't "unethical hunters" it is "game thieves" and armed robbery.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation again be sure and get license plate numbers and get the cops out there before they have a chance to leave the AO.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

I wonder what their reaction would have been if you and the kids all hurredly broke off and hid behind stumps/rocks/deadfall...whatever...and all of you at the same time put THEM IN YOUR CROSSHAIRS!! Act like a bunch of wacked out militia type sniper guys!!!

That might have gotten thier attention....and it's what I would have done!!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
I wonder what their reaction would have been if you and the kids all hurredly broke off and hid behind stumps/rocks/deadfall...whatever...and all of you at the same time put THEM IN YOUR CROSSHAIRS!! Act like a bunch of wacked out militia type sniper guys!!!

That might have gotten thier attention....and it's what I would have done!!
Outnumbered 5:1 with the opposition in a superior position?

Damned good way to get your family killed.

Best rethink that position.