Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sling use with bipod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sling use with bipod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I just finished my 2nd entire hunting season using this double shoulder sling.

It's never uncomfortable -- EVER.
Len,

A comment - the top photo of the sling in your link is so small that it's not useful, and the next one down shows up as a red X. You might want to resize the top one or have the option of the photo enlarging if we click on it. Not sure what's wrong with the other one. Only the pink one is really visible.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSSGT View Post
Hunting this year, I had my harris bipod on my rifle and my sling. However, sling carry was impossible because the bipod would tear up my shoulder.

How can you utilize both? I ended up taking off the bipod while transporting.
I used my Ultraflex sling this year with my bipod (first year for the bipod use) and had no issues at all. I had to move my bipod lock arm so it was all the way to the right and didn't poke me, otherwise I never knew the bipod was there.

Link to sling below:

www.sloganoutdoors.com
Old 12-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

I don't have the problem with my sling attached to the Harris, with about 90% of my carry time I support the butt of my 12 pound rifle with my hand. Learned this from a PH in Africa about 25 years ago. Greatly reduced fatigue carrying a heavy double all day. Forget what you see on film, grabbing the barrel with the rifle resting on your shoulder. It's ok for short periods and and looks great for the movies. It will kill you if you are wearing a tee shirt. The technique, with the rifle slung on your shoulder with the barrel up, same side arm straight down, is to pivot your hand clockwise so it is palm out and support the butt with your cupped fingers, taking the weight off your shoulder, but still enabling the rifle be suppoted by the lighter sling pressure on your shoulder. Sling adjustment is important. After doing this for a while, it comes natural and feels like your carrying a lightweight sportier. It solves two problems, weight and balance. For my size and physical make up, using a second sling stud throws a heavy barrel rifle out of balance, for extended carry causing fatigue.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

I use the same Double shoulder sling len uses..My rifle is 16.1/2 lbs and I never have a problem.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

I dont use bipod or shooting stix or monopod or none of that junk. I got a sling for my rifle and a backpack. Backpack or a tree or rock is my gun rest if I need it. Saves a lot of wt for guys that really hunt.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

Are you saying that those of use that use a bipod are not really hunters.
After 50 years and countless elk,muledeer,and whitetail I feel like I qualify as a hunter.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Gold Member

Tactical intervention M24 quick cuff sling. Works great and is bomb proof. Of course I also use my sling as a shooting aid. I think if you plan on using sticks without the aid of a sling the backpack setup would work best.
http://www.tacticalintervention.com/...smilitary.html

When I was in the Corps I found the green web sling so useless I would simply carry my M16 by the carrying handle and hand guard, thumb through the carrying handle and hand around the hand guard muzzle down. I switched hands every three miles. As time went on and the SNCO got less stupid about "Non issue gear" . I got a BlackHawk single point sling and connected it to a buckle hook I had sewn into my ILBE vest. I used my left hand to keep the weapon from bouncing around. Part of the requirements was the weapon had to be readily accessible and with this setup I could shoulder it instantly.

For 20 bucks you can get a 1903 sling, which is an excellent design and was in use by the USMC up until 2007 for the M40 sniper rifles till they switched to the TIS quick cuff.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...6073&hlp=false

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V