Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Size of target at 800 yards? And how close to center?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Size of target at 800 yards? And how close to center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Do you have a formula for degrees cant vs moa at distance?
No, it would depend on scope height, zero range and trajectory of bullet. I'm sure someone could come up with a plugin formula, but that someone ain't me

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Me neither, been waaayy to long since geometry, physics and calc............. Easier to use my phone app anyway
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I agree that doing the math is better. I'm just saying that is possible to fairly accurately set a cant. By the time you get done torquing down all the screws, you're lucky to be within a half degree of what you want anyway. 1 degree of cant is not going to amount to a lot of POI shift down range and that amount will also depend on how far down range you zero. The closer you zero to the target down range, the less the cant will affect the POI.
So my question with this, then minimal poi change with 1 degree canted scope..mine is canted what I would say is minimal (hitting 5 inches left at 780yds) Why not for now just adjust my zero to be on att 500 yards for left and right that way I'm couple inches right at 100 couple inches left at 900?? My max target range
Old 10-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriverbottom View Post
So my question with this, then minimal poi change with 1 degree canted scope..mine is canted what I would say is minimal (hitting 5 inches left at 780yds) Why not for now just adjust my zero to be on att 500 yards for left and right that way I'm couple inches right at 100 couple inches left at 900?? My max target range
Couple of things.... first without reading back through, you aren't correcting for spin drift which means your cant is actually causing about 10" or so of POI shift @ 800 yds. Next, it's easy to align your scope and level properly. I would say just do it. And only use 1 level.

Yeah, you could just adjust your zero to shift back 5" @ 800, but in my view, that's a convoluted way of doing it. Maybe I'm just too anal.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I'd like to see the laser bore sight that can be used on a rifle that would reach 1000yds ... .
I guess I should have emphasized IMAGINE a little more

The formula for exact scope cant error is a little complex but you can get a good approximation by multiplying your bullet drop in inches (assuming zero at 100) by the tangent of your cant angle. Example for 240 inches of drop, 5 cant angle:

240*tan(5)=21" cant error.

Last edited by el matador; 10-10-2013 at 10:32 PM.