Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Size of target at 800 yards? And how close to center?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Size of target at 800 yards? And how close to center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriverbottom View Post
At 100 yards hitting directly above center maybe isn't a good indication of left or right at longer distance? Bullet hasn't stabilized? Maybe why I'm seeing that group at 800 left?
When you used your improvised plumb bob, did you align your scope reticle AND bore of your barrel? If you didn't, your bore might be aligned left or right of your scope.

When I align mine that way, i remove the bolt and line up the bore to center on the plumb bob line... then I adjust the scope reticle to the line to get both of them in the same vertical plain.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Bronze Member

Guys check my level and this is what I found. Pics attached.

My level on my scope is cant a bit vs the level on my rifle. With that if I'm understanding the tall target test method. I would have my rifle cant a bit to the right so it seemed level, as I would shoot at 800 yards not knowing I tilted the crosshairs to the right to make it level but that affected my boreline to crosshair alignement. My cross hair went up and right an that made the barrel point more left, and this would be why my hits were left on target?

I hope I understood all your guys information and this is the fix.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Size of target at 800 yards? And how close to center?-image.jpg  
Old 10-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Bronze Member

Pic
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Size of target at 800 yards? And how close to center?-image.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Looks to me like you need to rotate your scope just a few degrees to the right to get the vertical CH aligned with the center of your bore.

Before doing that though I'd set up a plum bob and look at your vertical CH compared with it while your rifle level shows to be perfectly level.

The easiest way I know to set it up is with a large piece of construction paper (think grade school project construction board) drawing a thin vertical line using a 4' carpenter's level.

As for getting exactly centered (scope and bore alignment) that is most easily done with a laser boresight.

Once you are level, then set it up with the boresight at 100yds or further if you can get a good image farther, and then move the windage until they align.

Of course as soon as you start shooting that's going to change but at least you start off perfectly aligned.

That's one thing I favor about the old style Leupold and Redfield one piece mounts where you could adjust the windage with the set screws for initial bore sighting.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriverbottom View Post
When I mounted my scope I used the wheeler leveling kit an also a rope with a cinder block hanging from a tree to try an make sure the reticle was level. I do have a level on my gun I level before each shot currently.
One thing I just thought of is if the cinder block isn't hanging from it's center of gravity, it will cant the rope. Maybe that's the problem? I use an actual plumb bob on a string. That's why carpenters use plumb bobs instead of 2x4's or whatever.

Also, IMO, setting up the rifle as close to the string as the scope will focus it on lowest power is the easiest and most accurate way of doing it. A lazer bore sight would be good if you have one but if you don't, it's fairly easy to eyeball the bore's center. It has always worked good for me.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Looks to me like you need to rotate your scope just a few degrees to the right to get the vertical CH aligned with the center of your bore.

Before doing that though I'd set up a plum bob and look at your vertical CH compared with it while your rifle level shows to be perfectly level.

The easiest way I know to set it up is with a large piece of construction paper (think grade school project construction board) drawing a thin vertical line using a 4' carpenter's level.

As for getting exactly centered (scope and bore alignment) that is most easily done with a laser boresight.

Once you are level, then set it up with the boresight at 100yds or further if you can get a good image farther, and then move the windage until they align.

Of course as soon as you start shooting that's going to change but at least you start off perfectly aligned.

That's one thing I favor about the old style Leupold and Redfield one piece mounts where you could adjust the windage with the set screws for initial bore sighting.
"Poster Board" is what I was trying to think of, or for that matter just a large piece of cardboard, but the white poster board would be easier to use to make your vertical line easier to pick up.

Just set the target up, and then use a carpenter's level to draw your plum line. Using this method will eliminate any chance of wind blowing your plum bob off level.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member

This might be a stupid question but I have seen this on one of the long range hunting shows..they put a cant in the scope to take out spin drift. With now when my action is level as pics showed my crosshairs off center counter clockwise a bit (so there moving down and right when dialing long range) With my cross hairs off counter clockwise I offset that by rotating clockwise to level on my scope. This in turn rotates my level bore to cant clockwise ( when I shoot with that set up my hits are left of target, does that seem right with impacts??

Because what I'm wondering for the time being level my action ( scope is cant counter clockwise) move my level on my scope to match my bore..so spin drift is to the right but scope is offsetting that with it mounted counter clockwise and moving up and left, then maybe the bullet meets in the middle??

Thought it was worth asking since I'm sure I saw it once, then during offseason get things squared up.

Last edited by sdriverbottom; 10-09-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Crosshair movement