Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sign Rifle Needs Bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sign Rifle Needs Bedding

Check that everything is secure as stated above.

Then load 20 from one consistent batch of brass...
- Shoot 5 for group
- Put it away and come back another day without cleaning
- Shoot 5 for group

save your targets including notes on shooting conditions

do this 4 times until all 20 are fired

Are the groups consistently sub-MOA?

Is the POI consistent (accounting for wind) without cleaning each day?

Repeat the above procedure until your groups open up.

Too many changes too fast will cause you a lot of grief.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Check that everything is secure as stated above.

Then load 20 from one consistent batch of brass...
- Shoot 5 for group
- Put it away and come back another day without cleaning
- Shoot 5 for group

save your targets including notes on shooting conditions

do this 4 times until all 20 are fired

Are the groups consistently sub-MOA?

Is the POI consistent (accounting for wind) without cleaning each day?

Repeat the above procedure until your groups open up.

Too many changes too fast will cause you a lot of grief.

I feel like an idiot for not having suggested that first! Environmental changes will change point of impact, even at 100 yards!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Bronze Member

Good idea. I was shooting with a 10-12 mph to my back. Would that float my bullet 1.25 inches higher at 100 yards than two days earlier when I had a slight cross wind? It was 35-40 degrees cooler the day it was shotting 1.25 higher than the other as well.

Friday: slight cross wind and 65 degrees outside. Put 10 shots in and around the bulleye within .75 inches.

Sunday: 10-12 mph wind to back and 30 degrees outside. Put 7 shots 1.25 inches higher than Friday. Barrel was cleaned on Saturday.

Would this make a difference? The only other change was deburring the flashholes...
Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

All of those things can certainly affect POI to a greater or lesser degree. Even simple things such as bipod one day and bench rest another make a difference.

The only way I can tell if I make progress is to measure everything and make copious notes.

That way you have a well established baseline to determine if a particular change such as a particular cleaning technique or bedding the action makes a difference or not and to what degree it helps or hurts.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you for your help.. I'll keep shooting it (keeping notes) and see how it goes...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke5678 View Post
Thank you for your help.. I'll keep shooting it (keeping notes) and see how it goes...
It is true that many of the things mentioned can affect POI but there is one thing that is consistent. If your POI changes EVERY time you clean, I can just about guarantee you that you do not have a problem. I say that because 90% of rifles out there will change POI to some degree. It may be slight, and and may be as much as 2-3 inches. The best indicator is, does it move to the SAME POI after you clean and then come back to the same POI after a few rounds? I don't remember the last rifle I've had that didn't do that to some degree. It is simply the difference between clean and slightly fouled. When it gets to severely fouled, the same thing happens and accuracy goes south as well. When you clean try to be consistent. I like to remove ALL of the carbon residue and leave a SLIGHT amount of copper fouling. In otherwords, don't try to clean until there is absolutely NO sign of blue or green on the patch. This will only cause you to take more fouling shots before your POI settles back in. Every barrel, regardless of the quality and amount of lapping, still has imperfections (pores). until those are filled with copper, the POI will be affected. I hope this makes sense? Try it and see. Good luck....Rich