Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sighting Zero at what distance ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Sighting Zero at what distance ???

Also I am using Burris XTR rings

Old 03-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
I'm sorry , I was talking about the ballistic plex reticle . I've had these before and was going from memory . I just looked up the black diamond 's reticles . the 300 does call for a 100 zero . they are not using the top of the heavy post for a yardage for the 300 mag , but you could . here is a link to that info . Jim

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BMDotLabels4.pdf
Thanx Jim thats the chart i got with the Scope.........so with this maybe i didn't need the 20 MOA base ?????

Old 03-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Right now I am using about a 270yrd zero. I am forced to that because of all the cant I currently have in my rifle. I have about 40MOA forcing me to that range. I am currently shooting about 3.25" high at 200yrds with the turret bottomed out.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

3" High

For long range shooting the 3" High at 100 yards is what I use in my non rangefinding scopes........

For my Leupold Plex scope .........it calls for a 200 yard zero and then use the crosshair rangefinder in the scope for 300. 400 500.

Works great when teamed up with my laser range finder..........

Last edited by alaska; 03-20-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Platinum Member

If you are gonna be dialing for 1000yards (which I would recommend) then you are gonna need plenty of moa built into the rail and an extended sight in distance as your scope only has 30 sum-odd moa of total adjustments. Just because the scope has that much travel doesn't mean you will have that much of useable adjustment. I would use a 20 moa rail to start and use the Burris rings to customize the total moa needed (up or down). I don't believe that scope is the best choice for short to long range shooting due to it's limited adjustments. If I kept my shooting to certain range increments (either short to medium or medium to long) I wouldn't see a problem with it. But then again if that's what you got, make the best of it.
A reticle with multiple aiming points is a nice thing to have for quick reference points but not as accurate at extended ranges as dialing (if your turrets are precise and repeatable). You need to shoot it to see where your holds should be.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

I set all my rifles for 300 yard zero's. This has been the easiest for my mind to grasp but I have been doing it this way for 25 years. I tried the 100 yard zero a couple of times but under field conditions (i.e. charging groundhog's or rabid whitetail's) my mind takes over, reverts back to the 300yd zero and I invariably fumble it up (and get trampled or bitten). Best just to go with what you know and feel the most comfortable with. JohnnyK.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Bronze Member

Thanx a Bundle for all the advice Fellas......i took the Sendero out to a mates property and set up a Plough Disk at 200metres, it seemed to take a few shots to hit it, i was starting to think there wasn't enough "Down" adjustment, but a few adjustments here and there had me joining 4 shots together !!!!!! Two 4 shot groups in a row after the initial barrel break in process i was joining the shots very nicely. I have a question though, after how many shots is the barrel shooting its Best ???