Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sighting in rifle WITH-OUT lead sled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sighting in rifle WITH-OUT lead sled

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
I use a bi-pod in the front and sandbags in the rear. I was never a fan of the lead sled. I rarely shoot without a bi-pod. This works for me, however, maybe not for others.
Plus 1... Just like we hunt. and 99% of the time prone.
Jeff
Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

Boy O Boy! No wonder we're no longer a 'nation of riflemen'! Seems like lots of folks don't know squat about marksmanship, what to select in the way of a cartridge, etc. and apparently grew up totally foreign to hunting and what/how to do!!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip44 View Post
I have a lead sled, but it's only use for the last several years has been as a cleaning cradle. I never use it for shooting anymore but rather a harris bipos and rear bag.
That's what I use mine for. It made it to the range once been sitting in reloading room ever since.

I use bipod and rear bag.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
I guess I'm an idiot to. I've got a scab on my nose from experimenting with a loose hold. It happens about once a year from experimenting with hold & position. Maybe I should sell off everything and stick to 22' shorts.
The .22 will probably scope you some how too. That's all right I've been scoped a plenty these last 2 years load developing for my kids rifles. short LOP and barrel = scope face bashing for dad. "i'm an idiot too, I've been scoped by a .243!"
Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
Hey all,
I just bought a new 300WSM X-bolt that I will be sighting in this weekend. My question is....what techniques do you all use to sight a scope? The biggest problem I have is I do not have a lead sled. I have one of those plastic gimmickie Caldwell Matrix's, which when I sighted in my 7mm WSM last year, I ended up with a nice scope kick to my range eye-glasses which gave me a nice little cut on my nose. I do have enough eye relief, the problem was the caldwell matrix did not allow me to really shoulder the rifle so it kicked much farther back than normal. After that, I ended up sighting it off some bags, which worked for hunting but I never shot more than 200 yards. I would like to get this one sighted in better but have no lead sled....I know...I SHOULD buy one and maybe will someday. What is your guys advice? The farthest I can shoot at the range I will be at is 200 yards.
Shoot it like you plan to shoot in the field. Either a bipod and rear bag, or all bagged up.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
Boy O Boy! No wonder we're no longer a 'nation of riflemen'! Seems like lots of folks don't know squat about marksmanship, what to select in the way of a cartridge, etc. and apparently grew up totally foreign to hunting and what/how to do!!
You know you are right about one thing... .

The vast majority of people in this country will never shoot any sort of firearm and that means their kids don't grow up shooting like we did.

Sites like this exist to help those people out who have gotten some interest in hunting and shooting somewhere along the line and insulting them when they come calling is a great way to limit further the ranks of those who will take up our cause and fight for our right to own and bear.

Might want to think about that in the future.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Bronze Member

I will apologize if I offended anybody by calling them an "idiot". But if you read the whole thread I did NOT call anyone an idiot. Where I grew up, and anyone I knew that did any shooting, used to call the mark left around your eye that was left there by a riflescope was refered to as an "idiot cut or an idiot mark". Nothing more and nothing less, I personally never found it to be offensive in any way. Just didn't think people on this GREAT site would be offended by something like that. Again, I apologize to all.