Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sighting in rifle WITH-OUT lead sled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sighting in rifle WITH-OUT lead sled

Read this and thank me later!

The importance of being Solid

=================================================
This ain't real solid but it is better than nothing!

POOR MANs' Lead Sled: Did this for a quick range support back in the day..

Get a card board box that would hold 4 gallon jugs of milk or more. (I used milk boxes-SQ).
  1. Cut a v shape about 3 or 4 in side at top of one end.
  2. Cut a Deeper V in the other end that is deep enough to hold the rear stock and have it stick out enough to reach your shoulder. Get 3 boxes. Allows u to screw up 2 then have a good one. Just lay your gun down in the gun holder.
Did this back in the day on my .270 and it works, and you can throw it away each time.....best part.

Good luck....
Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Do what T3 said!!!

Lead sleds and such are for those who have no idea of what they are doing. That is, didja ever attempt to carry a lead sled around the mountains? If you sight-in off of one you had best be shooting at game off of one.

Just MHO
Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member

I have a lead sled, but it's only use for the last several years has been as a cleaning cradle. I never use it for shooting anymore but rather a harris bipos and rear bag.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspman View Post
I just use front and rear bags, all you need. I don't like the led sled because it alters your hold on the rifle. Possibly changing your POI when shooting in the field.
Not to mention the shooter needs to manage the recoil! What good is it if you have to depend on a sled to suck it up!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

I use a Caldwell bag and an old wool sock filled with poly beads for a rear bag. If I need some extra height, I'll break down a cardboard box and/or fold as shims. I shoot off the tail gate or prone. At the range, I just use their sandbags or my own stuff it all the sandbags are in use. I can see using a sled to keep from getting your shoulder punished but I just use a shoulder pad. In the field, I shoot off my pack or from sitting, knees up and pack in my lap. I like this because it all fits in a range bag and there's nothing to break.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Sighting in rifle WITH-OUT lead sled-2012-08-17_13-38-50_193.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

most my shots will be out of a tree stands including the field I shoot out to 400 yards. fortunately the field stand has a gun rest. So there will be no Bi-pods for me. I was just speaking of the initial sighting-in of the rifle/scope and the best ways to go about it. Thank you all for your advice.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:32 AM
Platinum Member

I use a modified lead sled mostly during load development. Once satisfied, I shoot it in prone (my most likely shooting position afield and w/ bipod) and make necessary adjustments as required.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.