Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sighting in rifle WITH-OUT lead sled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

Sighting in rifle WITH-OUT lead sled

Hey all,
I just bought a new 300WSM X-bolt that I will be sighting in this weekend. My question is....what techniques do you all use to sight a scope? The biggest problem I have is I do not have a lead sled. I have one of those plastic gimmickie Caldwell Matrix's, which when I sighted in my 7mm WSM last year, I ended up with a nice scope kick to my range eye-glasses which gave me a nice little cut on my nose. I do have enough eye relief, the problem was the caldwell matrix did not allow me to really shoulder the rifle so it kicked much farther back than normal. After that, I ended up sighting it off some bags, which worked for hunting but I never shot more than 200 yards. I would like to get this one sighted in better but have no lead sled....I know...I SHOULD buy one and maybe will someday. What is your guys advice? The farthest I can shoot at the range I will be at is 200 yards.

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 08-17-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sighting in rifle WITH-OUT lead sled

I don't own one either. I use a barrel rest a cheap one at that, a MTM and off the bench with that.

I'm not fond of tying down a rifle. Maybe the girlfriend but not the rifle......
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Gold Member

No comment!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
Hey all,
I just bought a new 300WSM X-bolt that I will be sighting in this weekend. My question is....what techniques do you all use to sight a scope? The biggest problem I have is I do not have a lead sled. I have one of those plastic gimmickie Caldwell Matrix's, which when I sighted in my 7mm WSM last year, I ended up with a nice scope kick to my range eye-glasses which gave me a nice little cut on my nose. I do have enough eye relief, the problem was the caldwell matrix did not allow me to really shoulder the rifle so it kicked much farther back than normal. After that, I ended up sighting it off some bags, which worked for hunting but I never shot more than 200 yards. I would like to get this one sighted in better but have no lead sled....I know...I SHOULD buy one and maybe will someday. What is your guys advice? The farthest I can shoot at the range I will be at is 200 yards.
With all due respect just imagine the year is 1890 and you just got your brand new 300WSM and 20 boxes of shells and you had to sight it in. How would you hold the rifle still enough to be accurate with nothing mechanical available? Just go give that a try. You might be quite surprised just how easy and fun that is.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
With all due respect just imagine the year is 1890 and you just got your brand new 300WSM and 20 boxes of shells and you had to sight it in. How would you hold the rifle still enough to be accurate with nothing mechanical available? Just go give that a try. You might be quite surprised just how easy and fun that is.
I welcome all opinions/advice. I dont mean to sound like such an amature. I used to shoot lots of trap/skeet along with open sights in the range. I am new to scopes as I only started hunting last year with a rifle. Only have bow hunted before. I just want to be able to make that 400 yard shot, which I know...I need to know the ballistics of my gun and also shoot a lot. The only problem being i can only go to 200 yards at my range. To be an ethical hunter, I would like my scope to be as perfect as possible at 200 yards, so when i try that 400 yard shot, I dont just wound the animal. I do have a pretty steady aim holding free-hand...due to trap/skeet but I feel shooting through a scope is a whole new ball game.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

I use a bi-pod in the front and sandbags in the rear. I was never a fan of the lead sled. I rarely shoot without a bi-pod. This works for me, however, maybe not for others.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Bronze Member

I just use front and rear bags, all you need. I don't like the led sled because it alters your hold on the rifle. Possibly changing your POI when shooting in the field.