Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sighting problem on Savage Long Range Hunterrrecte

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

Sighting problem on Savage Long Range Hunterrrecte

I just recently bought a Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag. I put Weaver bases on it with medium height rings and mounted a Zeiss Z600 scope on it. Before putting the scope on, I counted the click through the entire windage and elevation range and centered both within the range. After getting the scope squared up, I tightened everything down and began bore sighting the scope. Here is where the problem began. The scope was just slightly off on the windage, which I corrected with just a few clicks, but I ran out of range before I could get the elevation adjusted. It was reading high and as I adjusted it downward, I simply ran out of adjustment before getting to zero. Has anyone else had the problem? How did you fix it. BTW......the Zeiss has a total range of 280 clicks, so from the middle it has 140 clicks of adjustment. That's 35 inches! That is a lot of adjustment and I still couldnt get there.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sighting problem on Savage Long Range Hunterrrecte

Is it a tapered base? Did you put it on backward?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Couple of things you could do
  1. If you have a bore sighter / borrow one - check to make sure you are getting actual tracking (vertical)
  2. Disable everything and check to see if base is binding (install front screws and see if rear has daylight) if so search scope base bedding
  3. Measure the thickness of the front and rear to make sure you dont have some odd MOA base
  4. if neither of the two I would suggest another base (EGW, etc...)
Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Bronze Member

It is not a tapered base. In fact it is a two piece base (Leupold) and both are exactly the same (the eaxct same model number Weaver style base). After seeing the problem with those, I Tried the STD bases with the rear base having windage adjustment. Had the same exact problem. Going to try a 20 MOA base and see if that works. If so, it is going to throw all of the functionality of the Z600 scope right out of the window, but I can put that scope on a different rifle and go with something else on this one.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Bronze Member

BTW.....yes, I do have a boresighter, and that is the problem. I can't get it boresighted because I run out of adjustment before I can get the crosshairs down to zero.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

When you try the 1-piece base, attach the front two screws first. See if there is a gap at the rear.

If there is, contact Savage.

This has been an issue before.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Bronze Member

Already ahead of you...tried the one piece base and it is level all the way across.