Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sighter shots while hunting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Sighter shots while hunting.

Just another quick question. How far would a deer normally have to be to keep them from spooking and running at the sound of a gun being fired. In other words, if I wanted to fire a sighter shot on a rock to confirm drops for the conditions and the deer was 300 or 400 or 800 yards away would you expect it to stay put.

I know that no answer is carved in stone but I was curious at to what to expect if I went on a solo hunt and fired a sighter for a 400 to 500 yard shot.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sighter shots while hunting.

The deer would have to at least as far away as the nimcompoop at the gun shop. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I wouldn't do that on my stand.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

A couple of years ago I was on my hunting hill working my way over to some deer that I spotted. Some a-hole a mile or two away emptied his gun, reloaded and emptied it again. The deer stuck around for the first shot or two, then bolted to the next county. If I would have fired a shot, I'm sure they would not have stuck around. You never know though - I have seen deer that have just been shot at run and stop 50 yards from where they were and look at you. I think it depends on how much pressure they have been seeing.

Don't you trust your drop chart? I know you can hit first shot at 400 or 500 yards. Plus I know the temperature now is pretty close to the temp we shoot at in the spring.
Why the need for a sighter round?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't do that on my stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is actually a pretty common practice for the extreme range crowd taking big game. What could be better for doping the wind when shooting cross canyon?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

If the wind is squirrely at all I was thinking I would give it a try if the guys here have tried it with good results at my ranges. If the wind is steady and low then I'm not going to be as worried about it.

I am thinking hard about heading out to a spot curt suggested on friday (near the chuckar spot) in hopes that the low numbers of hunters durring the week will give the deer a chance to calm down a bit. I'm with ya on the pressure thing. Between that and the less than extreme distance I figured I would throw it up for discussion.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

That may be a good plan for Friday. You might want to talk to Troy - his buddy Jeff was out last weekend somewhere up there and his son shot his first deer. They saw about 30 deer and missed a couple of bucks. He said they were about 1.5 miles off the road and were by themselves (everyone else was road hunting).

If you don't go up there, head up to my spot with the 4 wheeler and look around. Let me know if you want to go this weekend.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

4ky

I nailed a whitetail at 760 last year, and the herd around her stood still after the shot -- just watched her hump up and fall over 1 min later, then meandered off. They had no idea what was going on. I didnt need a sighter at this distance, but could have it seems.

HTH,
JB