Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sierra Matchking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Bronze Member

Sierra Matchking

Does anyone use the sierra matchking for hunting? I know that they are considered "target" bullets. I am looking at the 150gr for my wifes 7mm-08 that will be an elk and deer gun. Let me know your suggestions. I shoot 168 Bergers in my 7mag but am looking at some options for her gun.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sierra Matchking

I think its a pretty bad idea, a light for caliber bullet in a highly frangible design on elk is asking for disaster. try the 150 TTSX or an accubond or partition. Dont be afraid to go too heavy

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Oh Boy! Here we go again! This is always good for 6 or 7 pages.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

With the explosion of quality hunting bullets to hit the market in the past couple years, it really isn't worth your time to look at the MatchKing for your needs. MatchKings WILL kill an animal, the problem is repeatability & consistency (speaking of terminal ballistics). If you were shooting 300 or 338 magnum, I would be speaking slightly differently, but your 7mm-08 just isn't the right match for a SMK.

Mike made some great suggestions & i'll +1 the 150 TTSX. Even your 168VLD would do the job as it WILL expand in situations where the SMK might not (thicker jacket). The Accubond will do nicely, as will the Scirrocco (sp). As much as it pains me to say it, a heavy Partition should work well in this case.

Don't worry about the SMK, it is a highly accurate bullet that just wasn't designed for hunting. It will probably work, but it isn't worth it in THIS case.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
With the explosion of quality hunting bullets to hit the market in the past couple years, it really isn't worth your time to look at the MatchKing for your needs. MatchKings WILL kill an animal, the problem is repeatability & consistency (speaking of terminal ballistics). If you were shooting 300 or 338 magnum, I would be speaking slightly differently, but your 7mm-08 just isn't the right match for a SMK.

Mike made some great suggestions & i'll +1 the 150 TTSX. Even your 168VLD would do the job as it WILL expand in situations where the SMK might not (thicker jacket). The Accubond will do nicely, as will the Scirrocco (sp). As much as it pains me to say it, a heavy Partition should work well in this case.

Don't worry about the SMK, it is a highly accurate bullet that just wasn't designed for hunting. It will probably work, but it isn't worth it in THIS case.

I am marking my calendar for the day Tyler admitted the Partition was a good choice.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I am marking my calendar for the day Tyler admitted the Partition was a good choice.

Oh no...... Great, now I have to come up with some kind of plausable deniability.

Wait a minute! Did I really use the term "good choice"? or was it "last ditch effort" area?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

I've killed a few small whitetails with 107 and 142 SMKs. They created massive internal damage and typically did not exit.

I'm not sure I'd use them on Elk although I believe some have done so as illustrated in this same topic that resurfaces from time to time...

What's everyones thought of using the 7mm 168gr or 175gr sierra matchking on deer?

Is this common? SMK

-- richard