Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sierra match king's as a hunting bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Sierra match king's as a hunting bullet

If I had to pick one bullet as a do all.. It would be the smk...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Curtis View Post
If I had to pick one bullet as a do all.. It would be the smk...
Well that is great to know, I was having some doubts but after talking with John Porter, and reading what you guys have posted, I think im gonna load up a bunch and go shoot some data!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

You won't regret it...

I've shot more animals with an smk they any other bullet. Shot my buck this year with a 240smk.. It went to the fields of green clovers instantly.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Most of the guys who don't recommend them due to many negative experiences refrain from posting because they get all but crucified for sharing. That said, there is plenty negative experiences here despite all the positive. As for me I gave up on them for hunting. Too many pencil holes, no major energy transfer and no blood trails. If you can ensure spine hits go for it. If not, you maybe disappointed in their inconsistency. Sometimes they open, sometimes they don't. Any 'hunting' bullet can fail to open too but they open a hell if a lot more reliably. Unpredictable is not part of my vocabulary with ANY part of my hunting gear.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

Michael,

Thanks for that... I'm loading some Nosler Accubonds today instead... ;)

$bob$
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

I have shot 150gr SMK out of my 7Mag and 175gr SMK out of my 300 win Mag. Killed everything I shot with it. At closer and longer ranges. All exited with at least a one inch exit wound. Whitetail Javelina Coyotes you name it. Very accurate bullet. I started loading Accubond in 160gr for the 7Mag and 180gr accubonds for the 300 Win Mags but still love to fling the SMKs down range at steel. They are very accurate! I lucked out with the turret I have on my 7Mag for the accubonds because it matches up well with the SMKs too! Lucky me!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Have you tried the 140 Game King? They should be pretty darn close to the Match King.