Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sierra Match King Vs Game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Sierra Match King Vs Game

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, but have been hunting for over 17 years. I have been reloading now for a couple years for most of my rifles. I recently decide to try a 150gr. Sierra Match King for my Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag. The accuracy is incredable. My friend who intruduced me to this forum filled me in on the pros and cons concerning the match king bullet when used for hunting. I would like to fill you all in with my experience.

So far I have killed 3 Bucks, Two Coyotes, One Javelina. My sister shot a buck with my rifle as well. All the shots were about 110 yards or so, exept the coyote at 260 yards and the javelina at about 200 yards. All the animals had an enterance and exit wound, with the exit wound fairly large. The bullet blew out a chunk of lung from the buck I shot yesterday and the exit on the coyote did the same. Bottom line I am impressed with the results I have had so far. I am curious if some one else has hand loaded the SMK in 7mm Rem Mag and any experience using them, because I plan on starting to shoot Long Range with this combination.

Thanks- Jay
Old 12-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sierra Match King Vs Game

Jay,

I have shot several elk and deer using a 168 smk from a 7mm rem mag and from distances of 25-300+ yards and have good luck in general from this combo. I noticed some rather large exit wounds on a few of the critters, but had good expansion etc....hope this helps the only thing I ever shot at a real long range was a coyote at 650 and they worked real well on him!

I am currently shooting a 308 at this time and killed an elk and a deer this year with the 168 smks and had good performance on both animals..I am gonna try the berger vlds though as they have a higher bc and I have heard nothing, but good reports on them.

Jordan
Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Sooner or later the SMK will loose enough velocity to reliably and predictably expand. They typically work great to a point and then pencil through at longer ranges unless you hit bone. Then kiss alot of meat good bye.

I used to buy into the thought that the only thing that mattered when we hunted was raw accuracy. Then I saw what happened to a few animals after being hit with the SMK at longer ranges. I personally do not wish to put any more critters through that. Despite the fact that I have never lost an animal to the SMK I feel things could have been quicker and more humane. Now instead of buying into accuracy first, I buy into quick and humane first. Accuracy second. I typically get very close in the accuracy department with hunting bullets VS match bullets.

Just my opinion.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting the SMK results.

Your experience is pretty much the same as others. They're quite effective. And continue proving it with more shooters using them.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Guys for all the info. My 7mm Rem Mag has had its fair share of tests. I am going to start testing out my 300win mag because I have some 175gr. SMK loaded for it. If I get the same results I will probably load SMK for my 300wsm and my 300wby. I'm shooting 200gr. nosler accubond out of the 300wby, and 180gr. Nosler Accubond for my 300wsm. I did make one special load for a ram hunt i went on last month. I loaded the 180gr. SMK for the 300 wby Mag and dropped that Corsican Ram dead in his tracks from one ridge to the other. I got the shot on video, it was pretty cool. Shot him in the chest and the bullet still exited!

-Jay
Old 12-18-2008, 12:27 PM
User

+1 on what meichele said.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:29 PM

meichele, i'm far from a ballistics expert but you need to explain to me how at longer ranges the smk doesn't expand. I thought that as a bullet slows down it has more time to perform the way it's supposed to ie. expand or fragment.I can see your point if you are talking about close ranges 100 200 yrds. but longer ranges i don't see that.
The smk so far has been every bit as good a hunting bullet as my AB.
Everything from jackrabbits to whitetail have been humanely killed on my ranch using the smk.
What people are missing here is that just because a bullet is not designed for a certain app. doesn't mean it can not get the job done.In this case smk get's the job done even though it is not for hunting app.