Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Sierra Game and Match King 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sierra Game and Match King 30-06

Shoot the 180 grain sierra game king if sierra bullets are your choice. These bullets were originally designed for '06 type velocities. At the ranges the '06 is best capable windage between it and the 200 will be negligible. Either will give you excellent performance out of that cartridge. I would prefer the 180 for less recoil when a 200 grain is not needed but the 200 will work great if that is your choice.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Here are two options that might fill the bill. The Hornady 178 BTHP and the 195 BTHP. Here is the reason. A gun shop owner local to where I live told me that he use to use 168SMK's to hunt with. He had sporadic expansion that he didn't like. He went to the Hornady 168gn BTHP and the problem went away. He had good bullet expansion consistently and never went back to the SMK. So I am offering these as suggestions to fill your need for hunting and target shooting.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Shoot the 180 grain sierra game king if sierra bullets are your choice. These bullets were originally designed for '06 type velocities. At the ranges the '06 is best capable windage between it and the 200 will be negligible. Either will give you excellent performance out of that cartridge. I would prefer the 180 for less recoil when a 200 grain is not needed but the 200 will work great if that is your choice.
i do like bullets specially manufactured for a caliber. if my rifle is capable of both weights i will choose the one that are the most SGK+SMK coaccurate. if no info is provided i probably will go for the 180gr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Here are two options that might fill the bill. The Hornady 178 BTHP and the 195 BTHP. Here is the reason. A gun shop owner local to where I live told me that he use to use 168SMK's to hunt with. He had sporadic expansion that he didn't like. He went to the Hornady 168gn BTHP and the problem went away. He had good bullet expansion consistently and never went back to the SMK. So I am offering these as suggestions to fill your need for hunting and target shooting.

Tank
i will need a nonexpanding bullet. (plus an expanding also ofcourse)

are you saying that a 178gr is coaccurate with a 195gr?

the 168gr is also the only BTHP avaliable where i shop.

i can get the Sierras and Bergers for a lot cheaper where i can shop within EU so i will firstly look to these and mostly Sierra because i think they will fit my needs better and are alot cheaper
Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoX View Post

are you saying that a 178gr is coaccurate with a 195gr?
Your going to have to set up for one or the other. I would take LTLR's advice. He is very knowledgeable of bullet usage and performance. I offered these as a good hunting/target capable bullet. Just giving you options. If you can't get them, then the SGK is the way to go. They are very accurate and deadly on game. Shot a Whitetail buck this year. No tracking necessary.
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Buy a 22 rimfire to shoot grouse with. Use a 180 gr slug in the '06 for large game
Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Your going to have to set up for one or the other. I would take LTLR's advice. He is very knowledgeable of bullet usage and performance. I offered these as a good hunting/target capable bullet. Just giving you options. If you can't get them, then the SGK is the way to go. They are very accurate and deadly on game. Shot a Whitetail buck this year. No tracking necessary.
well congratulations then. have you also shot with the SMK if so can you tell me how much the accuracy differs within eachother? what caliber was it btw and what weight of bullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Buy a 22 rimfire to shoot grouse with. Use a 180 gr slug in the '06 for large game
i thought this was the Longrangehunting forum? i will use my rifle at longrange.
getting a new gun is out of the question especially a caliber as low as 22
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think I've shot SMK's out that particular rifle. It is a .308 Win. with an 18" barrel. I shoot the 200grn SGK for deer. It is my short range in the woods gun. It went in with a bullet size hole and exited with about a nickle to quarter size hole. Can't remember. It put a hole about the size of a golf ball in the shoulder blade on the entrance side. It exited out just below the spine only messing up about 2 inches of the tender loin. It was at a pretty steep angle and facing away from me slightly. I haven't chronoed the load yet, but I'm guessing somewhere between 2300-2400fps. That is with 38.0grn of Reloader 15.