Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Should I stay with 6mm-06AI?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Should I stay with 6mm-06AI?

Just make sure that while you are fire forming that you follow proper barrel break in technique. It will make a big difference in ease of cleaning. Some guys even get more accuracy by doing a good break in.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Just make sure that while you are fire forming that you follow proper barrel break in technique. It will make a big difference in ease of cleaning. Some guys even get more accuracy by doing a good break in.

Tank

very very true.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

Wow! Thanks for all the info. Its hard to find anyone who has any info on this cartridge. I like the Idea of the 25-06 case prep as well. I don't have any RL17 But I'll pick some up. I have some 4831 and 4831sc. I figured I'd try them if nothing else. I also have some 4350. I should be able to scrounge up some RL17 without much effort.

Tom
Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

This is some regular load data for the 6mm-06. You may want to try some slower powders also. H1000, Retumbo, IMR7828, just to see what it does. Some of these calibers will give excellent accuracy with speed to boot. Having a 28" barrel will help to efficiently burn these slower powders and produce results. Just a thought. You more than likely won't find load data for these slow purners, but if you should choose to shoot a 105grn bullet, this should keep you in the 3300 to 3500 fps range. You would just have to do some pressure testing i.e.: move up one grain at a time until you see signs of over pressure (ejector marks, crushed or cratered primers).

6mm-06 @ www.reloadersnest.com

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

I went ahead and made a change to the order. Actually two changes. lol I ordered the 10 twist then called back and went with the 8 twist instead. I've heard some talk of bullets disintegrating as they leave the barrel. Do you think there is a chance of that? I'm looking at most likely shooting the heavier VLD bullets. The 6mm-06AI would seem to be suited to slow burning powders with a heavy bullet and 28" bbl.

Tom
Old 01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog1m View Post
I've heard some talk of bullets disintegrating as they leave the barrel. Do you think there is a chance of that? I'm looking at most likely shooting the heavier VLD bullets. The 6mm-06AI would seem to be suited to slow burning powders with a heavy bullet and 28" bbl.

Tom

Yeah, you push the Berger (J4 jacket is thin) VLD's over 3200fps (known from others complaints on this sight) and you could see some coming apart in flight. Another option would be the 107SMK and the 105 A-max. From what I have heard and read, you can push this bullet as hard as you want and it will stay together. IF you should want to shoot the 115's, then I doubt you will be able to push them fast enough to come apart. Soooo, some food for thought. A 1:8 is a much better choice of twist in this caliber than the 1:12 you originally wanted. I think you will be much happier and be able to shoot farther more accurately.

Tank

Last edited by liltank; 01-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

i have not had any problems with the Bergers comming apart. Like i said earlier im pushing 3515fps with the 95g and 3230 with the 168. Neighbor is shooting 3300 in hisSTW with the 168s and has had no problems. Im NOT saying that it does not happen its just not happened to me yet. How recent has it happened to anybody and has it done it with the new Hunting Bullets Berger makes? Just wondering if maybe the hunting bullets are a little stronger. Hmmm.