Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shot a small Elephant with my EDGE !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Shot a small Elephant with my EDGE !

So far the year for me has been taken up being Dad. With a 2 and 4 year old trips in the bush have been fewer than I would have liked. So as the spring growth starts to fire up so does the fringe country sambar hunting.

I have a few favourite honey holes that I will hunt reguarly from now on and today one of them paid off.

The night was perfect after a couple of weeks of high winds and rain, finally I had a good wind to sit this clearing that would offer shots from 200 -700 yards. After getting set up and spotting a few deer feeding in far off places I happened to pan my glasses hard left and caught movement through the head of a tree. I moved a little and made the form of a large stag feed with some hinds that had been previously hidden by a fold in the hill. I ranged them at 260 M and grabbed the big swaros to look him over. MMmmmm .. decision time...... I nearly decided not to shoot him when he lifted his head high and that sealed it ! The big problem now was because of the lay of the land I could not get prone so I risked moving to a big tree and getting a rest for a standing shot.. Up the hill he walked when he turned away , quartering towards me.... Booooooooom Whack !! Down he goes like a rock. Hit high on the shoulder with the 300 smk from my EDGE.

I started sneaking in to make sure he was down for good when I realised all the other deer about were still there looking me over.. I recently picked up a new lightweight ghillie and it had them all baffled.

When I get to him he is the biggest bodied stag I have taken. If he had a trunk and big ears he could have passed for a small Elephant ! Covered in mud and with a huge rut swollen neck, his 28 inch antlers looked small on his frame.

This is a great start to my spring campaign and I feel the best is in front of me still.

Cheers

DUH

Last edited by Down Under Hunter; 10-03-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Shot a small Elephant with my EDGE !

Wow!! That thing is huge? I'm hoping they taste good
Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Bronze Member

What time did you shoot it.
illegal to shoot any deer in victoria 1/2 hour b4 and after last light ????? and spot lighting as well.
no wonder the hunting and licences are hard to get and is stuffed up.
post copied.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomo View Post
What time did you shoot it.
illegal to shoot any deer in victoria 1/2 hour b4 and after last light ????? and spot lighting as well.
no wonder the hunting and licences are hard to get and is stuffed up.
post copied.
Not sure where your going with this one mate but I dont shoot deer in the dark.

DUH
Old 10-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

260m with your rifle rested against a tree while standing...impressive.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:15 AM
Gold Member

LOL! I expected to actually see an elephant.

Nice!

Quote:
Not sure where your going with this one mate
I think thomo is implying that you shot it illegally. And is planning on contacting the authorities with this evidence. "post copied"
I assume that sambars behave much like whitetail deer, sleep during most of the day then start to graze sometime before dusk. I also assume that thomo doesn't know that, and thinks because your pics are in the dark, you shot it in the dark.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 10-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoto View Post
LOL! I expected to actually see an elephant.

Nice!

I think thomo is implying that you shot it illegally. And is planning on contacting the authorities with this evidence. "post copied"
I assume that sambars behave much like whitetail deer, sleep during most of the day then start to graze sometime before dusk. I also assume that thomo doesn't know that, and thinks because your pics are in the dark, you shot it in the dark.
They are just like most deer. Best time to hunt is first amd last hour of the day.

Implying that I shoot my deer after dark is like saying I kick my balls out of the rough.

I see with only 3 posts he's new.. so lets move on .

DUH

Last edited by Down Under Hunter; 10-03-2010 at 05:32 AM.