Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shot Placement and Distance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Gold Member

Shot Placement and Distance

Hey Guys. I am wondering what shot placement on whitetail deer you would take at certain distances. Now I dont shoot over 500 yards yet so I dont really need info for that at the moment but under 500 yards using a 3006 with a 165 grainer, at which distances would you take harder quartering shots, broadside shoulder shots, broadside double lung shots, straight on (deer facing you) chest shot, neck shots etc? Obviously short range shots like 100 yards...id guess almost any shot would be fine except shooting up the deer's rear end haha but at what distances would you start only shooting say a broadside shot right behind the shoulder double lung (maybe heart)?
I aks because to date, my farthest shot on a deer has only been ~160 yards lol but target shooting I go a LOT further. The hunting trip I am going on this weekend may have shots up to 500 yards...I honestly (probably) wont shoot past 300 but who knows.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shot Placement and Distance

I shoot partitions out of my 30-06. I like the high shoulder shot, or shooting them in the ribs. If I'm worried about the deer running off a ways in rough terrain I go shoulder. If it doesn't matter I shoot ribs. I have killed deer past 400 yards with my 06 with either shot.

I usually try to wait for the deer to get broadside when it is over 250 yards, so no frontal shots past there for me.

Maybe someone who shoots Bergers or some other frangible bullet out of their 06 can chime in on shoulder shots out to 500 yards. I would be interested to hear as well because I have started shooting the 168 gr VLD's in my 06 in addition to the partitions.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post
I shoot partitions out of my 30-06. I like the high shoulder shot, or shooting them in the ribs. If I'm worried about the deer running off a ways in rough terrain I go shoulder. If it doesn't matter I shoot ribs. I have killed deer past 400 yards with my 06 with either shot.

I usually try to wait for the deer to get broadside when it is over 250 yards, so no frontal shots past there for me.

Maybe someone who shoots Bergers or some other frangible bullet out of their 06 can chime in on shoulder shots out to 500 yards. I would be interested to hear as well because I have started shooting the 168 gr VLD's in my 06 in addition to the partitions.
At the moment I do not have a load worked up for my 3006 I am bringing on the trip but it is shooting .75MOA consistantly with factory remington core lokts 165 grain PSPs so this is the major reason to limit my shots to around 300 yards, but I will go for a 500 yard shot if I have lots of time with little to no wind. Sounds like playing it safe with a broadside just behind the shoulder rib shot is my best bet for now.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

30-06 has plenty of punch so that at 500 yards you should have some margin for error. I always try to wait for a broadside shot regardless of the range. But any double lung at any range is a good shot.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
30-06 has plenty of punch so that at 500 yards you should have some margin for error. I always try to wait for a broadside shot regardless of the range. But any double lung at any range is a good shot.
I have shot quite a few deer, just not at long ranges. Ive noticed the double shoulder that drops them right there shot is becoming more popular but since this is a paid trip id rather be safe than sorry. Drawing blood is considered a kill and you pay for it regardless if you recover the deer so definitely dont mind tracking a deer. I was most curious about quartering towards shots where you will most likely hit the leading shoulder...if this is the only shot I have on the Buck of a life time then I will probably take it...just wanted to make sure the distances a 165 grain core lokt psp would be able to punch through.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Have you shot "that far" in practice at least a few times under field conditions? What were your results? Do your results indicate a good change of success during hunting season for the type of animal you're hunting?

The point of my discussion is to practice at the intended distances you will be hunting. First time "practice" on a big game animal may not turn out as you anticipate.

Go shoot 500 yards before the hunt. Hopefully you will be surprised just how well you can shoot.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Have you shot "that far" in practice at least a few times under field conditions? What were your results? Do your results indicate a good change of success during hunting season for the type of animal you're hunting?

The point of my discussion is to practice at the intended distances you will be hunting. First time "practice" on a big game animal may not turn out as you anticipate.

Go shoot 500 yards before the hunt. Hopefully you will be surprised just how well you can shoot.
I have practiced a lot at these distances, just never hunted a large game animal at anything greater than 160 yards. So I do have confidence in my shooting skills and rifle. That being said, I will be limiting myself to around 300 yards for now...again, unless the buck of a lifetime comes out at 400-500 yards and the conditions are perfect AND I am calm haha then I might go to those distances. Anyways, on a quartering towards shot...any worries with a 165 grain core lokt psp going through the leading shoulder with shots under 300 yards?