Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shot placement in Africa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Shot placement in Africa

Guys as some of you may have read I am leaving for Namibia in 8 days. I was just curious if any of you have gone and was wanting to know if I should keep using the high shoulder shot like I do here on my longer shots or if I need a different placement. Im going after Kudu, Gemsbok, red hartebeast, blue wildebeast, spring buck, and wart hog. Any knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Just FYI we just bought a Hi def canon camera that takes stills also. We will have 13 kills( maybe more) on video and tons of pics. Its all the cheetah, baboon, and jackels we can shoot for no extra cost. To say I am excited is a sad understatement. I am very excited to share the stories with yall when I get back. Hope it tops last years Alaskan Dall sheep hunt. Many pics to come fellas!!!

Chase
Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Shot placement in Africa

The only one I have heard of is the gemsbok's spine is very low through the body. I have read where hunters were told not to shoot higher then half way up the chest.

Never hunted there myself. Look forward to the pics and video.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

Thanks kiwi. I will keep that in mind on a gemsbok.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the help at the range today. Good luck on your trip.

- Sean
Old 08-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

NO prob sean. Always happy to help out a fellow shooter. Now get your qual at 300 so you can start shooting at 600 more often!!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

A fellow I use to work with went to Africa and his P.H. was very specific on telling him were to place the bullet..
Old 08-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Silver Member

Firstly you will have a ball, Namiba is a great place, great people, awsome beer, UNBELIEVABLE HUNTING!!! Id move there.

All of the animals you have listed are no different to all the others in the world the vitals a more or less in the same place.
Hitting the shoulder is a favorable idea, mechanical damage is a must, YOURE NOT THERE TO HARVEST MEAT! Hit em as hard as you can.
These animals are tough critters my Hartebeest got hit with a 338 Win Mag highish shoulder it dropped on the spot, then got up and ran and ran and ran.
That animal got hit no less than another 7 yes 7 times with a 458 lott after the 1st shot with the 338, the guide told me they were tough, holy cow!!

Just to get you excited

My list was

Jackel,Gemsbok,Warthog,Impala,Kudu,Springbok,Zebra ,Hartebeest, and Blue Wilderbeest oh and a Baboon.

All the best for the hunt it will change your life.
Any other tips for african travel of what to do just PM me, more than happy to help.

Regards WSMMAD