Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

SHOT PLACEMENT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Bronze Member

SHOT PLACEMENT

I know we should all wait for a good broadside or quartering away shot on game animals so don't thrash me too much for asking what I'm about to.
How do all you think a straight on or going away (aka Texas Heart Shot) shot on an Elk would be with the .338 / 300 gr SMK at extended ranges (past 500 yds)?
I am just curious to see if there might be anyone here that has witnessed such a shot and how the bullet performed along with the animals reaction.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: SHOT PLACEMENT

I'd never consider a Tx Heart shot on an elk,....unless it was fairly close no farther than 300yds and that specific chance would be the only and final opportunity, it was a 400+ bull and.....someone else was going to field dress the thing. I don't think that sufficient penetration would be a problem especially if none of the pelvic or leg bones were hit.

Given the above conditions I'd have to pass on that rear shot......

A front on shot would be more reasonable IMO, but would still make a mess out of the field dressing part with that bullet and cartridge.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

Id take it in the front, but not low Id go a lil higher at the base of the neck.

From the rear if I was positioned above him Id go for the spine....If hes going dead away Id wait on at least a partial quartering shot or pass on it. And Id make damn sure may range was right! High or low from the rear could be messy.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

Pass on the shot,at long range to many things can happen,mainly a bad hit and a crippled animal.If its hit already take the shot.Many times a good blow on the cow will get them to turn around and look at you,giving you alot better shot.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:49 AM
Gold Member

I agree to pass on the shot. Long range has too many variables to be certain of exact bullet placement and bullet performance. Front or rear shots have very little error and can easily wound. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

I would have to pass, as an Elk or other Big game animals deserve more respect then to take any questionable shots at. Thats just my opinion!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Is this about respect for the animal, or self control on if you can or cannot you make the shot?

Straight on he signed his death warrant!

From behind probably pass, and wait! he'll give up those vitals if he doesnt...life goes on.

We can jibber jabber about ethics, respect for the animal
Whats that anyway first legal bull you see you wanna put a bullet in...Respect? Respect is what you earn when you dont take a shot your not comfortable with! and what your buddies give you when you turn his lights off at 600yds!

All other conditions are meaningless, the question remains CAN YOU OR CAN'T YOU MAKE THE SHOT?