Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Shot Groups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shot Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Well I think I fixed the problem. I dropped a full grain and lengthened my COL (Thanks winmagman for the reminder). What I did find, is that my Savage doesn't like a clean bore. The dirtier it got the faster it shot and the grouping stayed tight. The first shot was my comparator shot. The second after cleaning the barrel went about .25" high and .75" to the right. I decided to keep it dirty for the 3rd and 4th shot. They stacked up in the first shot and my speed increased by 50fps. Does this make sense?

Tank
Some barrels like a fouled/seasoned barrel ,if yours is one of them you may have to shoot
15 or 20 rounds and then do a light cleaning (Not back to bare metal).

Work out your cleaning regiment and then your first cold bore shot will be the one that
counts.

Most of my rifles like a fouling shot and a dry patch then I am ready to go hunting.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Liltank,
Good to know you got your problem solved.
I am picking up the tips also for my groups.
Thanks for the teaching
My 270 win barrel also likes a dirtier barrel.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The second after cleaning the barrel went about .25" high and .75" to the right. I decided to keep it dirty for the 3rd and 4th shot. They stacked up in the first shot and my speed increased by 50fps. Does this make sense?
I've got a couple that do the same thing. First couple of shots after cleaning register slower on the Chrony and don't shoot to the same POI as the following shots. Once the barrel fouls some, pressures build a little higher, and things settle down to where they belong.

Chris
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for the input. It help calm the nerves!!! Kids didn't help any though. The range time helped clear my head.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

I noticed a couple of things that haven't been mentioned. Besides the fouling raising pressures, there are at least two other things that will make quite a difference in firing a string, especially in in light barrel. As the barrel heats up, the bore constricts slightly which increases pressure. Even more dramatic, which you can prove with your crono is heating the powder inside your case after it is chambered. The longer you aim, the more the pressure increases in a warm (hot) barrel. Some studies show as much or more as 1 1/2 fps for every degree in temp increase. Hope this helps. God bless.......Rich
Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Measuring a group to three decimal points is all a bunch of gun magazine hokus pokus. I dont care if they do make an outside micrometer to do it more accurately. You're measuring holes cut in a product that is highly changable due to thickness, dierction of grain, % moisture, temperature , etc. A 1/2" group is no more accurate than a .50" group or a .500 group. It's just like fluted barrels and the Browning barrel tuning thing hung on the end of the rifle... all hokus pokus.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
Measuring a group to three decimal points is all a bunch of gun magazine hokus pokus. I dont care if they do make an outside micrometer to do it more accurately. You're measuring holes cut in a product that is highly changable due to thickness, dierction of grain, % moisture, temperature , etc. A 1/2" group is no more accurate than a .50" group or a .500 group. It's just like fluted barrels and the Browning barrel tuning thing hung on the end of the rifle... all hokus pokus.

So how does this answer my questions? Thanks for your opinion though.

Respectfully,
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!