Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Short thin barrels for long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Short thin barrels for long range?

Exactly.

Either the guy was intentionally trying to be controversial with his blanket statments.

Or, he was likely trying to make a point for the average guy that needs a handy little gun for 300yds or less. ...but, thinks he has to carry a cannon.

Like Kevin said...
Quote:
Gotta be careful with blanket statments like this. Or listening to gunwriters.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

I think a more accurate statement would be that a short thin barrel can be as accurate as a longer heavy barrel, but it is almost impossible to shoot the short thin barrel with the same precision as the long heavy barrel at long range.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Okay, having read the article, I can make a better assesment here, and what he's saying is for the most part true, but requires some reading between the lines. His assesment about stiffness between a short and long barrel is perfectly correct, but assumes barrels of the same O.D. dimensions. The comparison between a longer heavy barrel and a short lightweight tube is where it gets dicey. Lots of other stuff going on here, and I wouldn't buy this as a simple blanket statement. The way he words it here, he makes it sound like the 1000 yard shooters are missing a bet by using 30" barrels on our Palma rifles. I guess we'd be much better off with 16.5" lightweight barrels, but we're just too dumb to figure that part out.

Same situation with the expansion ratio I mentioned earlier; it's ONE of the factors that goes into the velocity equation. Changing barrel length may make a considerable difference, or be completely unnoticeable in the field. It all depends. Again, blanket statements that are far too broad to be resolved with a simple "Yes" or "No" answer.

I think he would have done his readers a better service by merely using the space to explain why he likes short, lightweight hunting rifles, rather than trying to make some specious ballistic arguments.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Every journalyst aspires to be controversial. It gets people to talking. I've learned a few points from this thread. So, no harm done. Anyone who took his paper as the gospel will probably be perfectly happy with what they get.