Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Short thin barrels for long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Bronze Member

Short thin barrels for long range?

I was reading a firearms magazine article which said that a short thin barrel is as accurate as a longer thicker barrel and does not give up much velocity. Can anyone confirm this?

"The .30-06 is never a mistake" - Colonel Townsend Whelen
Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Short thin barrels for long range?

Can be . . . but there's some more information needed. In some situations I'd be inclined to say yes, but that's in a specific comparison to a BAD example, i.e. a long heavy barrel. Assuming barrels of equal internal quality, barrel stiffness and harmonics become major factors. A short, light barrel, may have better stiffness qualities than a much longer heavy barrel, but as I said, there's a lot more questions that need to be asked and answered before I'd accept this as a "true" statement.

As far as the velocity question, that's a matter of expansion ratio, and barrel length is only one factor in determining this dimension. Fact is, a much shorter barrel may make very little velocity difference, or it may make a great deal of difference, depending on that expansion ratio. I'd call BS on that one, and ask for the resrt of the details.

Gotta be careful with blanket statments like this. Or listening to gunwriters.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

Here is the link to the article.

Scout Style Rifles

"The .30-06 is never a mistake" - Colonel Townsend Whelen
Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Can be . . . but there's some more information needed. In some situations I'd be inclined to say yes, but that's in a specific comparison to a BAD example, i.e. a long heavy barrel. Assuming barrels of equal internal quality, barrel stiffness and harmonics become major factors. A short, light barrel, may have better stiffness qualities than a much longer heavy barrel, but as I said, there's a lot more questions that need to be asked and answered before I'd accept this as a "true" statement.

As far as the velocity question, that's a matter of expansion ratio, and barrel length is only one factor in determining this dimension. Fact is, a much shorter barrel may make very little velocity difference, or it may make a great deal of difference, depending on that expansion ratio. I'd call BS on that one, and ask for the resrt of the details.

Gotta be careful with blanket statments like this. Or listening to gunwriters.

+1

Well said !!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Thin barrels are not as accurate for long range because of excessive barrel whip and vibrations. Also a lightweight rifle is very difficult to shoot at long range. As far as a short barrel and velocity that depends on the cartridge and how short vs how long. Some loose a little velocity per inch and some quite a bit. Some do well in short barrels utilizing faster powders and some don't.

Last edited by Long Time Long Ranger; 12-15-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

The referenced article makes some bold claims and I agree with earlier posts that these are unqualified and are for the most part inaccurate.

However, statements by the author such as, "I'd have no hesitation taking a 300-yard shot with any of these little guns."

And, "When a Blacktail buck suddenly appeared right in my face at only 20 yards in a rare small opening the gun was up and on my shoulder before I even had time to think about it, and he was on the ground in about five seconds total elapsed time."

...somewhat puts his frame of mind into perspective and a short barrelled rifle may be more than adequate, perhaps even ideal, for those tasks.

About the only thing he substantiates per the chart on page 3 is that you can have a pretty accurate short barrelled rifle. The guy probably knows better than to show up with a scout rifle at an F-Class match.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

I think he is talking 300 yards as long range and a short, light barrel is fine for that. Serious long range though it is not good.