Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The short shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
The short shot

Last weekend, my hunting partner and I harvested 2 black bears in one day. We were out scouting for dall sheep when we had spotted several bears and our scouting trip turned into a hunting trip. My ability to stalk sucks, I admit it, that why I am a long range shooter/hunter. Staurday however I thought I would try my hand at stalking for practice for the up and coming sheep season, as I didnt really care if I screwed it all up and went home emty handed. I snuck to within 75 yards of a group of 4 bears and shot him at 75 yards. My first succesfull stalk. Sometimes, it is nice to be up close and personal with the quarry, yet I realized how much I love long range hunting when I stood up with my 125# pack and looked up to the other side of the drainage where our camp was when I had seen another bear at 500 yards, a surge of feelings came up of a long range harvest. Unfourtunatly, my limit is full at this point, and my buddy who is not a long range shooter ran up the other side and set up on his bear. I eventually made my way up to him and was able to watch him harvest his bear at 157 yards, with my rifle!! I realize now how important it is to get as close as possible without spooking our game, before shooting. Just because one is capable of shooting game at 1/2 mile doesent mean he always has to.

Good hunting/long range hunting to all of you

P.S. This is my first bear, and the icing on the cake was Sunday we spotted 7 rams and 2 legal rams. Pictures of our success can be seen at http://www.maeichele.addr.com/Blank%20Page%204.htm

[ 06-14-2003: Message edited by: Michael Eichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:32 PM

Re: The short shot

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 06-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Bronze Member

Michael, sometimes getting close is not so good either. About 20 years ago, my hunting partner shot a nice 6 pointer with a bow. We tracked it down, a perfect dbl lung shot. The deer was down, but not dead. We shot this deer with another 7 arrows all heart and lung shots. as it layed there kicking and bleeting, snorting and snotting blood. It would just not die. Finally out of arrows, I cut its throat from behind. This stopped me from bow hunting for 20+ years. Now due to physical problems it's either long range capabilities or not able to hunt at all.
time to break out the .300 ultra and big glass's.

Halfbreed
Old 06-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats on the Bears Michael, can't see the pics in the link though? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] How far away did you spot them from?
What area did you get them? I know what you mean about gettin them back too, I was lucky in a way and mine only weighed 100 pounds, if even that, hide and all. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2003, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Brent,

We got them in the chugach mtns in 14A. We spotted the first one at 50 yards in our camp. That alerted us to the bears in the area. We then spotted 4 about 650 yards away, and from there I made the stalk.

What happens when you try to veiw the pix in the link? I think sometimes it takes a while to for the pix to load. Do you see blank squares?? If so, maybee give it some time and they should show up.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:54 AM
PUBLISHER

The pix worked for me.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-14-2003, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

P.S. Brent,

I dont know if you know, but 14A for black bear has been changed to no closed season effective now. The baiting was extended to 6-15-03 also. I dont bait though.